Chapter 27: Roxy

Tristan stared across at me from behind the lykos, a smug smile playing on his lips.

I resisted the urge to grin myself; one little lykos? This was going to be too easy.

The flames flared brightly in my fingers, but Tristan didn't step back. He did keep glancing at them though, watching, wary. The sun was high in the sky, its beams twinkling through the trees where the branches were thin enough. They surrounded Tristan in a halo of light; the Sephan was never out of the spotlight, it seemed. I was stood in the shade of the trees. This would give me an advantage if it came to a fight.

I turned my attention back to the lykos. I had seen one or two of them while out with Tristan, but we didn't have anything like it in the Helian Realm; nothing with that much fur over its body would survive long in the heat of my Realm. Its big, black eyes were dull, lifeless, like someone under Helian Control... Maybe that had something to do with the Sephan Protector standing behind it.

Most non-Helian animals will go running at the first sign of fire. This lykos was standing its ground. It didn't seem as scared of the flames as I would have expected; that didn't make it any more of a threat though.

"Come on now, Roxy," Tristan said, his voice smooth and enticing. "Play nice. We can help each other out here. If you come back with me now, I can look like a hero—the Sephan who captured the escaped Helian arsonist. I'll have the election in the bag."

"And I'll go back to being locked up? No thanks."

He looked at me as though I was a child he was trying to pacify. "No. You'll get to the Arcan Realm, like you want."

I was a Helian Protector, not some little kid that could be won over with sweets. I didn't need Tristan. "In case you haven't noticed, that's where I'm heading now—I don't need your help any more, Tristan."

"Oh, really?" He raised his eyebrows in mock surprise. "So you know where the nearest port is? Where to find a boat? Which direction the Arcan Realm is?"

I laughed, the fire dancing brightly on my fingers. "That's the great thing about being a Helian Protector—people tend to give you whatever you want: information, boats—they're easier to come by than you might think." I shot a ball of flames in his direction—not to toast him, just scare him—and wheeled around. I didn't want to hear any more; I was wasting time.

As I turned, I was met with two low growls as a pair of lykoi emerged from the forest. I darted left, since it would be quicker to go round them than to attack, but another lykos blocked my way, and another, and another. I was trapped on all sides. Even creepier, the trees themselves seemed to be growing thicker around me, filling all of my exits with thick branches and thorns. Tristan was using his powers to trap me in with him and his pets.

"Well, if that's the way you want to play..." I muttered, getting another ball of flames ready in my hands, still relishing the thrill of the heat on my skin.

"Wait, Roxy. Hear me out." His eyes were wide, pleading—perhaps he had realised that he had cornered himself as well—in a highly flammable cage. Perhaps he just had another unfathomable political angle. I was bored of trying to second guess him.

"So you can use me to gain control of the Sephans? Sorry, that's your problem to sort out."

"No, so I can use you to beat Erica."

I smiled. "Again, not my problem."

"She's got all of the ports on this side of the island blocked off."

"What?" Now that would be an inconvenience.

"You won't get out of the Realm that way. She's trying to look strong—she's determined to capture and kill you to boost her votes in the election. If you come back with me, I can keep you safe and we can show how ineffective she really is at keeping the Realm secure."

"How do I know that you won't kill me publicly to gain votes?"

"I guess you don't." He smiled. "You'll have to take my word for it. Besides, with your powers I don't think you're in too much danger from a bunch of Sephans, do you?"

I grinned at that; he had a point. With my powers back none of them could touch me.

Tristan's brow creased, but he didn't say anything else. Perhaps I should have disagreed, to flatter him. That's probably what an Arcan or Sephan would have done. Tristan didn't like having his inferiority confirmed.

I could fight my way out of his circle of lykoi if I needed to. Part of me was itching to use my powers again and toast the lot of them. But I wouldn't come out of the fight completely unscathed and would be making things unnecessarily complicated for myself, since I would have to deal with Erica too. It would be easier to go along with Tristan's plan and let him take me back to the Arcan Realm after the election, even if it did mean waiting longer—and restraining my powers.

"Fine," I said, letting the flames die down. "We'll do it your way."

His smile was back; a little too smug for my liking, but never mind. I could let him think he was in control, for a little while...

Once he visited another Realm for the first time, he would quickly realise just how insignificant Sephans of any kind really were.

{Yay! I remembered that it was Friday in time to post! Well done to everyone who guessed it was Tristan. Please let me know your thoughts on the chapter by voting/commenting. And if you love Water, please consider voting for it on twitter with #MyWattysChoice}