Chapter 10: Jasmine

When I woke up again, I was back on the stairwell. The floor, which I was stretched across on my stomach, was completely flooded.

But it wasn't getting any wetter. And there was air, blissful, plentiful air, all around me and it wasn't going anywhere.

The only source of water now was my eyes, which were streaming with hot, salty tears.

I tried to crawl to my knees, but my lungs revolted at the effort, spewing out a good bucket or so of water.

The world around me spun as I slipped back onto my stomach, heaving from the exertion. As my head fell against the cold, wet stone, I heard them call my name.

Quietly at first, then louder.

I wanted to reply.

To call out.

To tell them where I was.

But I could barely breathe, let alone speak, and all that came out when I opened my mouth was more coughs and water.

Then his arms were around me, pulling me tightly to his chest. Hugging me close to his heart.

"Jasmine. Where in the air were you? We've been looking everywhere. What happened?"

Far too many questions and not nearly enough energy or oxygen to answer them.

Instead, I settled for breathing, deeply and slowly, and letting Brae lift me up into a sort of slumped sitting position.

"Where did that come from?" I heard him ask as he looked back across me to the wall.

Behind me, the stone had been fractured, leaving a gaping hole through to the cavern beyond.

"Trapped... Drowning..." were the only two words I could manage to get out.

"Come on, let's get you out of here." He lifted me up into his arms and carried me down the stairs, taking his time due to the amount of water on the floor.

A few minutes later we emerged out into glorious sunshine. The crisp breeze felt sharp on my wet skin and I breathed it in greedily.

Devon and Kit were huddled around Imogen, who was sitting on the floor, holding her ankle. Cameron and Lorelie were nowhere in sight.

"Brae! You found her!" Devon squealed and rushed over to us. "What happened to you, Jazz? When you followed Imogen, you vanished. Cam and Lori are still inside looking."

"Kit!" Brae called over to the Brizan boy. "Go and find your sister and Cam—we don't want anyone else going missing."

He sounded pretty angry and Kit looked guilty as he rushed back inside.

Brae took me over to Im and placed me down on the ground beside her with care.

"Can you tell us what happened, Jazz?"

I gave a final cough, clearing the remaining water from my lungs, and explained.

"I don't understand how I fell to begin with, or what I fell through—it must have been the same hole I forced my way back out of, but I don't understand how it got blocked up."

"We rushed down after you, but no one saw anything. It was pretty dark when the lights went out though," Devon added, her brow creased.

"It all seems a bit... odd. I'm not sure what to make of any of it." Brae shook his head.

"At least you're okay now. Right, Jazz?" Imogen asked, looking at Brae nervously.

What was going on?