Chapter 11: Roxy

I pulled the boat ashore then paused for a moment. I couldn't be sure how I would be received here, so it would be worth keeping the boat in case I needed to come back this way. I pulled it right up to the tree line, where there was a wealth of fallen branches and started gathering them up and putting them over the boat. It wasn't a perfect camouflage, but the boat would be less obvious from the sea, or to anyone walking through the woods. The Arcans would have to be on the shore to notice it.

I dusted bits of bark off my hands, stepping back to admire my handiwork. Satisfied that the boat wasn't going to go missing any time soon, I set off into the forest.

It was every bit as dark on the inside as it had looked from the sea. The ground was uneven and rugged, the trees pressed closely together so that only small dapples of sunlight made it through. I was pleased, for perhaps the first time, that they had made us hike so much in Protector training; even if the terrain was unfamiliar, the physical exertion wasn't.

I had no idea where the Arcan capital would be; we had very little information on the other Realms in the Helian Realm, the product of centuries of isolation. It might even have been more prudent to stay in the boat and sail around the island until I caught sight of a town. But I wasn't made for sailing: it was far too wet and uncomfortable. Even if it took longer, I felt a lot better on land.

Besides, there had to be people somewhere close by and once I found them I could scare them into taking me to the capital; one look at my hair should achieve that.

And then I would be with Brae. Brae. Even thinking his name brought a smile to my lips.

What should I say to him when I got there? Should I pretend to be angry? After all, I did have to save myself and sail all the way over here single-handedly; he fully deserved my anger. But... he was Brae. He would know that I was only complaining to get a reaction, so he wold be unlikely to give me one. Plus, it was going to be near impossible not to fall at his feet in tears; they were already lurking beneath my eyelids, the sense of relief I felt at getting here. Getting away. I was so close. Once I had my powers back I would have no more need for tears. I would be unstoppable.

It was then that I heard them. The sound of heavily accented voices, gruff and rugged, calling to each other through the trees ahead of me. I could also hear crashing noises and what sounded like tools.

Civilisation.

I was one step closer to Brae.

I wanted to run to them. To him. To salvation. But I forced myself to keep calm. The Air-Heads probably wouldn't react well to a Helian Protector bursting through the trees, running full pelt towards them. I should be more cautious; approach them slowly and investigate before revealing myself. I carried on towards the noise with light footsteps and a racing heart.

They were in a clearing up ahead. Cutting the trees, perhaps? I paused behind a towering trunk to watch them. There were seven Air-Heads, five men and two women. They were a ragged bunch, with tangled hair and dirt-coated skin. They were clothed in coarse fabrics of green and brown. The whole look appeared homemade, which was odd. Arcans didn't dress like that.

Someone else did though.

Flames! This must be the Sephan Realm, not the Arcan Realm. I must have been veering to the south as a sailed. No wonder the journey had seemed so quick.

My heart was beating so hard I was convinced the Sephans in the clearing would be able to hear it. Back behind the safety of my tree trunk I forced myself to take deep, slow breaths.

This wasn't a total disaster; more a setback. I still had my boat. And they were only Sephans. They were not much of a threat.

In fact, I could use this to my advantage. I could get hold of some more food and supplies and maybe find a tool sharp enough to get these flaming manacles off. I peered back around the tree to take another look at them. They seemed harmless enough, in a rugged, wild sort of way. A closer check revealed some very promising looking tools in their hands and there was bound to be more back in their village. All I needed to do was follow them back there, wait for night, and I could free myself from Cin's Control for good.