Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Take this," Sakura handed Tenten a small crystal vial attached to a chain before handing Hinata an identical one. Tenten regarded the shimmering red liquid within the vials and nodded with grave understanding. "Healer's Blood."

"It's enough to heal any fatal wound. It's just in case I can't get to you guys when you need me," Sakura explained and the brunette nodded with a small smile before returning to sharpening her knives. "Thank you, Sakura," Hinata said softly, smiling gratefully and fastening the chain around her neck, hiding it under the collar of her hoodie. It was sleeveless, the fabric was thin, white lace.

Sakura laced up her boots and examined her appearance. A white tank top and black hot pants, covered front and back by grey leather and buckles, loose and versatile. Sakura raised an eyebrow sceptically. "These clothes won't offer much protection."

"They're designed for mobility, not protection," Tenten explained, fastening the straps and buckles at the ankles of her red-brown, leather leggings and pulling on her boots, identical to Sakura's black ones. "Vampire wars aren't like human wars. It isn't necessary for us to clothe ourselves in armour. It only gets in the way." Sakura glanced at all the throwing knives and daggers hidden in small packs fastened to the brunette's belt. She was sure that Tenten had more though, hidden in places the eye couldn't. "They're designed to accommodate our speed and for agility."

"Why don't your knives burn you?" Sakura asked curiously, "They're silver aren't they?"

"Silver must first be bathed in the vampire's blood before they are allowed to touch it," Tenten said quietly, tossing Hinata a pair of black leather leggings and a pair of combat boots, "Only I can touch my knives. Anyone else will be burned." Sakura felt sorry for the vampires that would come into contact with the brunette's blades.

"Time to go," Hinata called, already at the front door to Sakura's apartment, dressed for combat and Sakura gazed at the girl's willowy and elegant beauty enviously before moving to stand beside her friends. "Time to go," she tried to sound brave.

xxxxxxx

Gaara gazed wearily out at the twilight outside the old train carriage that hid the entrance to the Sand before turning his gaze back to Sakura in front of him, his eyes grave. "Promise me you'll be careful," he said in a low voice but Sakura could hear the silent plea in his words and it made her heart ache.

"I promise," she said softly, "But I want you to keep this." She placed a small vial of her blood, connected to a chain, around the Kazekage's neck. "It will heal you if I'm not here," she whispered, hoping with all her heart that he would never have to use it, and Gaara nodded. "Thank you," he murmured into her hair, holding her close before releasing her and gently kissing her forehead. "Stay safe."

"I love you," Sakura whispered, but she was alone in the dark carriage, the only evidence of Gaara's departure was the cool air that moved through her hair in the direction he had gone. Down the steps to the Hidden Sand, where he belonged.

Sakura stepped lightly from the carriage outside to where Tenten and Hinata were waiting for her. "Are you ready?" She asked her teammates wearily and they nodded with grim expressions before the three took off, becoming blurs, as they ran to their destination at top speed.

xxxxxxx

"They've been spotted," Mei Terumi said smugly with a smirk, resting her chin on her long, intertwined fingers, "They're on their way." She turned to the window next to her and watched the entrance tunnel on the far end of the Leaf. "Now we wait."

"They took the bait," Ino said seriously, turning to the tall woman seated at the small wooden table opposite of the couch the blonde was lounging on. "Do you know your orders, Mizukage?" Mei turned to Ino and scowled with annoyance but nodded, "Yes, Ino Yamanaka. I am aware of what I must do." Karin nodded at Sasuke beside her and the couch, "What about Sasuke, Ino?"