Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The corridors were dark and quiet as Sasuke led Sakura to her new room. The main Uchiha house seemed large and eerily empty to her. Her footsteps seemed to echo unnaturally loudly, disrupting the silence, while Sasuke's made no sound at all. Silver-green light streamed in through the curtainless windows so Sakura wasn't completely blind and it was easy enough to see where she was going. Sasuke didn't seem to have this problem so she kept close to him and followed his lead.

Sakura thought back to when she had arrived at her new, indefinite home as they walked, Sasuke carrying the last box of her belongings from her old apartment. Only his mother, Mikoto Uchiha, had met them at the gates, dressed in white lace with Sasuke's sharp, obsidian eyes and the same raven-black hair.

"You must please forgive my husband and eldest. I'm sure they would have loved to be here to welcome you, but alas, they are in a meeting. Family affairs," Mikoto smiled gently, the smile of a mother, and Sakura heard Sasuke snort discreetly. Mikoto walked forward and took Sakura's hands gently into her own, cold, but the gesture was warm. "It's lovely to meet you, Sakura." The woman beamed, her dark eyes bright, and Sakura couldn't help but smile back.

Sasuke stopped outside a door at the end of the corridor and disappeared inside; Sakura followed and froze in place. The room was beautiful, open and airy and lit by the same pale-green light from the corridor, a gentle wind blew in from the open windows and Sakura had never been in the presence of such luxury before. The walls were painted a pale blue, the floors covered by dark carpets.

Her belongings, still in their boxes, sat in the corner beside an intricate, antique dresser made from dark wood and the rest of the furnishings were made from the same wood, polished and unmarred. Sakura's eyes were drawn to the large double bed leaning against the wall to the left of the room, piled high with blankets and pillows. She fought the urge to just fall on it and let sleep take her.

"This is my room?" She asked in awe and Sasuke nodded, setting the box down against the wall beside her. Sakura could see the faint dark lines under his eyes, but Sasuke hid his exhaustion well.

"You're tired, Sasuke," she said, feeling exhausted herself and reaching up to touch a cold cheek. He shrugged. "It's 6am. Most vampires go to sleep round about now."

"Then why don't you?" She asked, watching his face closely. He pulled her to him gently and his voice became muffled by her hair. "Will you be alright on your own?" Sakura nodded, more enthusiastically then she felt. "Of course."

"Hn," his voice was sceptical but Sakura knew he was too tired to argue and pushed him towards the door. "Don't make me make you sleep," she said mock-threateningly before giggling and leaning tiredly against the doorframe. "I mean it though. I'll be fine." Sasuke rolled his eyes and leaned in to press his lips gently against hers; sending electricity through her veins but it faded when he pulled away and kissed her forehead. "Goodnight, Sakura."

"I think you mean good morning," she giggled but he was already gone.

Sakura yawned as she changed into the oversized, white tank top she always slept in with a pair of loose, indigo gym shorts and fell into bed. No bed she had slept in had ever been this comfortable and she closed her eyes and drifted off.

xxxxxxx

"Good," Tsunade said as she finished inspecting Sakura, "You're both dressed for combat." Sakura looked down at her attire. Black shorts, black tank top, and her black combat boots. Sasuke was dressed in a black hoodie that had the sleeves cut off to the shoulder and exposed his muscle toned arms, with dark jeans and black sneakers but Sakura doubted vampires needed to 'dress for combat'.