Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Itachi led them in silence and Sakura gripped Sasuke's hand tightly, trembling slightly. What would the Hokage say to her? Had she done something wrong? Was she breaking some kind of ancient law by coming to this place?

"Don't look so afraid," Sasuke said in a low voice so that his brother wouldn't hear them. "It's what he wants. He believes humans to be inferior to us." He shot Itachi a withering look. Sakura nodded quickly and took calming breaths to stop herself from shaking, but she couldn't stop the feeling that walls were slowly closing in around her, threatening to suffocate her and crush her.

They stopped outside a mansion, the tallest building Sakura had seen in the cavern yet and Itachi looked at her icily. "This is where I leave you." He turned to Sasuke. "You know where to take her." Sasuke nodded stiffly and then Itachi was gone; a cool wind ruffled Sakura's hair, marking the direction he had gone.

Sasuke held the large door open for her and they stepped into a well-furnished reception area where a pretty woman with short black hair sat behind a large desk, sorting through paperwork. She looked up at them with large dark eyes as they entered.

"Shizune," Sasuke bowed respectfully and, watching Sasuke's gesture, Sakura quickly did the same. This was foreign territory and Sakura didn't want to make a mistake and make her situation any worse than it possibly was.

"Sasuke Uchiha," Shizune said, returning the gesture and looking at Sakura with a masked face. "And the human." Sakura nodded nervously and the dark haired woman turned back to Sasuke. "You know where she must go." Sasuke nodded, wearing the same masked expression and leading Sakura up a concealed flight of carpeted stairs to the left, behind the desk.

"Listen to me," Sasuke whispered urgently as they got closer to the top. "The Hokage is the leader of the Leaf. The most powerful vampire here, that's how she got the position." Sakura nodded quickly as she digested this information. "Address her as 'Lady Tsunade' and be respectful," he warned. "Lady Tsunade hates disrespect."

"Aren't you coming in with me?" Sakura asked, beginning to panic as they reached the top of the stairs. They ended at a short corridor with cherry-red walls and Sakura briefly remembered the colour of Gaara's shirt. At the end of the corridor was a set of dark wood double doors with golden handles.

"I wasn't summoned," he muttered darkly, "She wants to see you alone." Sakura paled and glanced at the door wearily.
"Don't be afraid, Sakura," he said into her hair, hugging her. "Prove to her that you aren't weak, because I know you. You're strong." He released her. "I have to go now; I'll wait for you downstairs. Lady Tsunade doesn't like to be kept waiting. I believe in you."

Sakura waited for his footsteps to fade into silence before she approached the door. She knocked quickly and waited, holding her breath.

"Enter, human."

The wise, powerful and unmistakable voice of a leader. Sakura took a deep breath, willing herself to be brave, and opened the door.

xxxxxxx

The woman sitting behind the desk was beautiful, golden-haired and golden-eyed, and Sakura didn't doubt that this woman was the most powerful vampire in the Leaf. Lady Tsunade regarded Sakura thoughtfully and beckoned her forward. "Come, human."

Sakura obeyed quickly and bowed respectfully, "Lady Tsunade." Tsunade returned the gesture with amusement. "What is your name, human?"

"Sakura Haruno," Sakura said, almost stuttering and cursing herself for being stupid. Tsunade chuckled with good humour. "How appropriate. Your name matches your hair." There was a twinkle in the Hokage's eye; like the vampire woman was encouraging her to speak and it made Sakura feel brave enough to ask, "I'm not in trouble, am I?"

City of Nightजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें