Chapter 15-Jae

Everyone woke up as the sun was rising. We got ready quietly. I gave Sage a couple glances as we got ready. She looked tired, but fine. Serenity kept giving her the herbal tea that helped with what must be morning sickness. She caught me watching her a couple times, and before we headed out she walked up to me.

“Stop looking at me like that,” she ordered quietly, pretending to organize her bag.

“Like what?” I asked.

“Stop looking at me like I’m about to faint, or like I’m an invalid.”

“I’m…”

“Jae, I can understand it in other people. I can understand it in Carson, or Landon, or Serenity; I can even understand it in Pete. I can’t understand it in you.”

“What’s so different about me being concerned?” I blurted. She hesitated for a second, then slung her bag over her shoulder and pointed out at a nearby wall of rock.

“Do you see that pass between the cliffs?” I followed her finger and saw what she meant. I nodded. “That’s where we’re headed. We should be there before noon, I think.”

“That’s good,” I said neutrally. She nodded once, her hair charm jumping. She turned to walk away, but stopped and took a deep breath.

“Jae…” she paused, shook her head, and said, “never mind.”

We left shortly after that, making our way through the muck. People were talking in low voices. I didn’t know if it was still in respect for Emily, or in reverence of the new life we carried with us. I remembered something and walked over to Austin.

“Did you know about the child?” I asked quietly. “You do Life Magic.”

“I knew,” he nodded.

“Why didn’t you tell her?”

“It wasn’t my business,” he shrugged. “People deserve privacy.” I nodded. It made sense. In several hours we made it to the edge of the swamp. Burnt and bruised imps littered the way we had walked, and finally we were past it all. As soon as we reached dry ground Sage slumped over and let out one sob. I rushed to her side along with Heather, Pete, and Serenity. Argus was standing nearby, too.

“I’m fine,” she insisted. She used her wand to scrape mud off of her clothes and send it back into the swamp. “I’m just glad it’s over.” I nodded and looked around. The dry land stretched out along the rock wall. We were next to a gap, which had a wooden sign stuck near it. I walked over and read it out loud.

“‘Beware the song, lest it creates a disguise. Beware the creature, lest it take to the skies. Beware you own heart, lest it listens to lies. Beware the Siren, he who doesn’t surly dies.’”

“Perfect,” Sage remarked bitterly. She pulled out her journal and flipped through the legend. “The legend says ‘Keep true to the path, because your heart may betray you. Magic will not work on the bay, but you must continue. The song of the sea may lure any sailor over the edge.’ So this is just perfect. No magic allowed.” She slammed her journal shut and sighed. Her eyes scrunched up and she said, “Who has the rope?”

“I do,” Jason told her. He pulled it out of his bag and held it out. Sage took it and judged its length.

“Men, I want you all to line up. Let’s see, there are eight of you, so I want four, then a gap, and four,” she ordered.

“What are you going to do?” Argus asked as he stood in the back.

“I’m going to chain you all together, through your bags, I think, because there’s not enough to go around everyone’s waist. Heather, Serenity and I are going to drag you through the Siren’s bay.”