Chapter 3-Sage

I pulled out the journal Liza had given me for about the hundredth time and read over my list again. I had asked the seven for their names and whatever talents they had, and we had all agreed to meet at Hangman’s Bridge tomorrow at noon. After the bar I went back home and opened Father’s safe. I took out some coins and went shopping for sturdy clothes, dried or canned foods, maps, large canteens and jugs for water, blankets, and collapsible cooking utensils. Hopefully I’d thought of everything.

I sighed and looked over the list. 

#       Talent/Title                   Name                   Magic possessed (expert)

1: Wish-Maker                  Sage Perdit             all Black Magic                       

2: Non-Magical                Heather Mastiff                                                   

3: Healer                           Argus Shrewd        all Snap Magic (Healing)        

4: Pure Magical                Peter Boyle            Earth, Mechanical, General       

5: Truth-Seer                    Jae Freeman                                                        

6: Fighter/Truth-seer          Michal Simpson                                                  

7: Cook                             Emily Carter           Air, Water                               

8: Strong/Potions              Carson Wix            all Snap Magic

9: Smart                           Landon Masters      Mechanical                             

10: Potions                         Serenity Moss      all Nature Magic                     

11: Cook/ Maps                  Austin Moore        all White Magic                       

12: Fighter                          Jason Harker                                                      

I mentally recalled everyone’s face as I read their name. It would be wise to know who was who. Most of the volunteers were in their early to mid-twenties. Peter, Jae, Heather, and I were the only ones under the age of twenty. Serenity and Argus were the only people over the age of twenty-five; he was twenty-nine and she was actually a very fit thirty-nine.

I checked my clock and wasn’t all that surprised to see that it read one-o-nine. I set the alarm for nine, even though I’d probably be up before that. I packed the journal away again and curled up on the couch. I’d probably only have this one night of sleep to go off of for a while.

~*~*~

In my dream I was sitting in the middle of a dry riverbed, the sun beating down on me. Out of nowhere a voice started talking to me.

“I know you are trying to come to me. I know you can make it.” The voice was deep and strong, and sounded as if it knew what it was talking about.

“Talisman?” I asked. “Will you help us?”

“You have the clues. You have the skills. There is nothing else I can do.”