Chapter 11-Jae

“Jae,” Pete’s worried voice said. “Jae, get up.”

“What?” I mumbled, sitting up.

“Sage isn’t in camp,” he said.

“What?” I repeated.

“Sage is missing!”

Everyone in the tent woke up and started scurrying around. I leapt out of the tent after pulling my boots on. Heather, Emily and Serenity were huddled over a spot by the fire and Pete and I went to them.

“What are you looking at?” Pete asked.

“Sage woke up last night and I gave her some tea. Her mug and half a cup of it are on the ground,” Serenity informed everyone.

“Sage!” Argus yelled, looking down the path the way we’d come. I turned around to see Sage walking up the path towards us. She was wearing the same clothes she’d been in yesterday and her hair had been hastily tied back. Heather rushed out to meet her and they walked back.

“Sorry, guys, I didn’t realize I’d be gone that long,” Sage mumbled as we huddled around her. “I felt sick and I thought I’d puke in peace, away from people.”

“D’ya want me to check ya out?”

“No, I think I’ll be fine,” she said. “I was just a bit nauseated. It’s probably nerves, or something.” I could tell by her face that she didn’t believe that, and neither did Pete or Heather.

“Are you sure, Sage?” Pete asked.

“We need to get ready to go,” Sage ordered, stopping the conversation. We all knew better than to press the point, and dressed.

“What do you think is wrong with her, Argus?” Landon whispered, even though Sage was across the path in the women’s tent.

“There’re a lot o’ things that can make a person nauseous and ill,” Argus said, tying up his bedroll and minimizing it.

“What do you think it is, though?”

“It could be a number o’ things. I’ll be keep’n a watch on her, though.”

“If she says it’s nothing, then we don’t have to worry,” Pete said, pulling a loose cotton shirt on. “She’s strong and if she says she can handle it, then she can.”

“If she’s so strong, then does she usually get queasy when she’s nervous?” Austin asked. He was already packed and ready, but was waiting at the mouth of the tent for the rest of us. Pete clamped his mouth shut, so we all knew the answer.

“Boys! Hurry up!” Heather’s pleasant tone called at us. She knocked on the side of the tent, causing the entire thing to shake.

“We’re coming!” Jason assured her, pulling off his light pants and quickly pulling on sturdier pants. I quickly changed as well, and then pulled on my shoes.

Outside the girls’ tent was already packed away and Emily was passing out small egg-stuffed bacon sandwiches.

“Sage wanted to get moving as quickly as possible,” she explained as she handed it out.

“Is she ready to move already?” Jason asked, taking his food. “She just threw up.”

“I’m fine,” Sage’s stern voice said from behind us. Emily handed her a sandwich. “Thanks, Em. We should all get going as soon as possible. We can eat and walk at the same time. The next challenge has something to do with… ah, the legend says this.” She cleared her throat.  “You will find yourself in a marshland of sorts. Keep moving onward towards the water, and do not dally long. You may find safe camp upon the large rocks that are there, but watch your step as you travel the swampy muck.”