Chapter 13 - Why did the Cafe have to be Empty?

HEY GUYS! THIS STORY IS UP FOR UNDISCOVERED>ROMANCE ON THE WATTY AWARDS! PLEASE MAKE SURE TO V-O-T-E!! <3 THANKS! 

Chapter 13

The rest of the week had passed in a dull daze. Chris hadn’t really sought out Amy to talk to her, nor had she him. Maybe he’d moved on, she thought apathetically. At this point, she didn’t really care. Her house might have seemed a little bit too empty and her lunch wasn’t as interesting as it had been with Chris, but she’d reverted back to her old self; patient, stubborn, mature and shy.

Somewhere, deep in her mind, she thought that her wish was coming true. She’d wanted an escape clause. But now that he wasn’t flirting with her shamelessly over the bet, she regretted ever thinking that. Amy missed his company.

She heard the final bell ring and she headed out of her class, only to feel her hand been grabbed and pulled off to the side before she could even get a word in edge wise. Her breath caught in her throat as she assumed it was Michael, trying to kidnap her and take her back to his house.

“Amy,” Chris called, towing her into the corner of the hallway, right in front of the big gym. She let out a shaky breath... thank god.

When they found a place out of the way from the chaos from the ending of the day, Amy blinked a few times, amazed. They hadn’t talked in a while and looking at him in his big brown eyes now made her realize how much she’d missed it for the past few days. Why did he have that effect on her?

“Hey,” she said, pushing down her glee at seeing his face. He seemed distressed though, his brows tilting downwards at the sides and his eyes pleading.

“Hey,” he started quickly in return before getting to the point he was trying to make. He leaned forwards, placing his palms against the wall on the either side of her head carelessly. Amy knew that he didn’t see the way he’d captured her within a lock as anything but direct, but, in all honesty, it was having an effect on her. She tilted her chin up subconsciously and felt her fingers twitch to mingle in with his soft as fur hair. Her eyes dropped to his pouty lips and she bit her own in anticipation.

“Why haven’t we talked?”

Amy flinched at his voice, surprised. “Huh? Oh,” she mumbled, taking in his words although she’d been expecting him to kiss her. Her throat felt dry all of a sudden, “Um, I don’t know. I’ve been busy, I guess.”

Chris shook his head and looked her in the eyes, “Why are you lying?” he asked. He wasn’t exactly mad at her, she could see though, just curious. “Did I do something wrong?”

She almost laughed at that. Almost. The last time that they’d talked, he’d gone to save a girl from getting raped. If it weren’t the most heroic act she’d ever seen, it was definitely highly ranked. A smile lit Amy’s face.

“Of course not, Chris,” she giggled out as she pushed a stray strand of blonde hair behind her ear.

He grinned then too, dropping his head in a short period of relief.