Chapter Four: You Can't Help Me

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you like this chapter! The Second boy is introduced, but I won't spoil it (; So enjoy! Reveiw! Vote! Spread the story around, guys!

Violet’s POV **Still Flashback**

“Where the hell are your parents little girl?” the officer asked me completely shocked by my thug-like behavior.

I simply popped my day old gum and said in a confident tone, “I ain’t got any parents.”

The officer looked at me, not believing me for a second. She pulled out her cell and called 3 other officers to come watch me while she checked up on my claim. Yeah, I don’t have parents. They dumped me when I got too expensive. Apparently, haha, I was ruining their life. Little did they know, they were sentencing to me to a childhood of struggle, disappointment, sadness, and pointless anger. Anyways, everyone she called was busy. That’s just how a Saturday in the projects was. Drive- by’s, suicides, homicide, drug busts. Living on the streets, fending for yourself, you see it all if you don’t already do it all. I saw it all.

“Ray! Get in here and watch her. Everyone is busy and I need to find her legal guardians.”

“I ain’t got any parents!” I snapped, annoyed that she couldn’t get that through her head.

“Alright mom I’ll come in there,” another voice said. A boy about my age walked in. He had his hair in two long braids. He was wearing loose blue jean skinnies, a solid blue sweater, and blue addidas on his feet, with a domo backpack on his back. He sat across from me where his mom was sitting and smiled in my direction. I turned away so he wouldn’t see me blush. His mom left to do what police officers do and a 5 minute silence followed.

 “Hey! My name’s Ray,” he said with a smile, breaking the silence. I really looked at him for the first time. His hair was very long and his smile was perfect. He had smooth, brown skin and gorgeous dark brown eyes.

 I gave him a weak smile, “Hi. My name is Violet.”

“I like that name! Y’kno, since my favorite color is purple,” he replied.

 “That’s cool,” I whispered, scared to say the wrong thing.

He pulled out books from his bag and asked, “Did you get any homework this weekend?”

“No, I don’t go to school,” I answered slowly, lost in his eyes and stunned by his perfect smile.

“Whoa. Really? How do you learn math and stuff?” he questioned, wide eyed. I sort of hesitated answering that question. I didn’t want to say something I’d regret but I decided to just to tell the truth. It couldn’t hurt…right?

“Well,” I said clearing my throat, “I’m…I’m homeless so I-”

“Wait. You’re homeless? Why would anyone desert their own child? Why-”

“Well,” I began again, “When someone doesn’t want their kid, they j-”

He interrupted again, “But you can’t just- leave! What did they expect you to do all by yourself? Where did they go? How can they just up and leav-”

“Well they did! They didn’t look back either! So I’ve been on the streets stealing and double crossing just to survive and see another day! I ain’t got time for teachers throwing papers in my face and telling me to write stories and solve someone else’s fictional problems when I’ve got my own to deal with!” I snapped, slamming my hands on the table, now standing. Tears had developed in my eyes. Then I felt a sudden pain on my stomach. I looked down at the blood from the scratch I got sliding under the fence earlier. I grimaced at the sudden surge of pain and slid back against the wall to the floor, trying to stop the bleeding.