Chapter 6

My head thumped with pain and every bone in my body hurt. I groaned and opened my heavy eyes. I saw Allison. She was looking at me. “God, you are really hungover.” She tried to hand me a bottle of water but I pushed it away.

“Not now…and could you whisper?” I croaked out.

“Matt said he found you with a bunch of boys and beer.” She said sympathetically. “Is that true?” I nodded my head against my pillow.

“Why? Did the bear boy not go well?”

“He’s a jerk.” She seemed to study me.

“You really liked him didn’t you?” She asked a bit shocked. I didn’t reply.  She laid down next to me and put her hand on mine. “If you tell me who he is I’ll have Matt go beat him up.” I almost laughed.

“That would be something to see. But right now I need an Advil and some sleep.” She nodded. And went to her purse, she handed me a small red pill and the water bottle. I swallowed the pill and drank as much water as I could. Then I laid back down and closed my eyes. I still couldn’t sleep until my headache went away.

Allison walked out of the tent and I heard her talking to Matt.

“Is she okay?” Matt asked.

“She will be well…physically. I don’t know about everything else.”

“What do you mean?” I wanted to get up and yell at Allison to shut up. I didn’t want him knowing how upset I was.

“I don’t know it’s that boy. He did something and she’s really hurt. I’ve never seen her like this before.” I didn’t hear anything else after that because I drifted back to sleep.

                                                        ***

“Lela.” I heard a voice whisper in my ear. My eyes slowly opened and I looked at the person.

“Matt? What do you want?” He touched my arm.

“I’m sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought you were a slut but I don’t think of you like that.”

I tried to comprehend. “Matt talk slower and quieter.”  

“I’m sorry.” He whispered in my ear. Then he pushed some of my hair off of my face.

“Matt…” I sat up. “I can’t have sex with you right now I’m too tired.”

“No I don’t want to have sex I’m apologizing because I mean it.” He said. “And I needed to tell you my parents are going to stop by and if you look drunk they might get upset.”

I groaned and started to stand up. “I need a shower I smell like fish and virgins.” He laughed.

“The showers are not to far away from here, I’ll take you.” I stepped out of the tent.

“Don’t pick me up again. I might throw up.”

“Fine.” He put his arm around my waste and started to lead me down the back trail.

“Where’s Allison?” I asked.

“She went to that little store on the beach to buy some new flip flops.

“Oh.” He gave me a curious look. I took his arm off of me.

“What? I apologized for…not doing anything.”

“You called me a slut!”

“I did not!”

“You were treating me like one!”

“I…just wasn’t sure that you…”

“What?!”

“I thought that you only wanted to have sex with me because I was Allison’s older brother. I didn’t think it was because you liked me!” At that moment I realized something. I felt so stupid. Of course he was cautious, after Tina I would be to. In fact I wouldn’t trust any teenage girl ever again. I looked up at him.

“I thought you only wanted me because I’m your younger sister’s  hot and slutty best friend.”

He sighed. “We are both so…”

“Yeah.” I said. “So what now?”

“I-”  

“Lela!” Allison came running down the trail from where we had just come from. “I knew you would be going to take a shower. Here, you forgot your bag of clothes and towel.” I took the black bag and blue towel.

“Thanks Al, what would I do without you?”

“I can think of some things.” Matt whispered.

I had to hold back a laugh. “Come on walk me to the showers.” I said to Allison. She nodded then seemed to notice Matt.

“Matt what are you doing this way the boy’s showers are that way?” She pointed in another direction.

“I was just showing Lela the way.” He said. Then he turned to walk down a different direction. I was thinking about going that way to the boy’s shower room when Allison said something.

“Did Matt tell you that my parents are going to stop by soon?”

“Yeah he did.”

“And you look horrible.” She added.

“Thanks your such a good friend.” I said.

“Oh you’ll feel better after a hot relaxing shower.”