Chapter 9

“Lela! Wake up!” My eyes immediately opened. Allison looked at me with an annoyed expression. You’ve been sleeping all day.”

“What?” I sat up and blinked a few times as the memories from last night came flying back. Then I groaned and put my head on my pillow.

“Are you getting up? Pepsi and Matt are already at the beach waiting.” Her saying both of those names made my stomach churn.

“Yeah.” I sat up and smiled at her. “I just have to get dressed then I’ll meet you there.” She smiled and put her blonde hair in a pony tail. Then she crawled out of the tent and I sighed. I grabbed my bag and started to change. Putting on my blue bikini with green flowers and a long white shirt over it. I grabbed my towel and stepped out of the tent.

I looked for the cooler but it wasn’t there. They must have taken it to the beach.

I saw my flip flops under the chair I had sat on last night and I bent down low to get them. I heard someone cough just as I grabbed them and I swung my head around.

A tall brown haired boy maybe eighteen was standing behind me. He had trunks and a T-shirt on. I stood up and raised and eyebrow. “Yes?”

“Hi, I’m Mike.” He smiled.

“Hi…Mike I’m Lela.” He had a stack of papers in his hands. He handed me one.

“Boat party tonight hope you can come.” 

“Are you the one who’s been throwing all the parties?”

“And you’re the one causing trouble at the parties.” He looked me up and down with a smirk. I scoffed in disgust.

“I don’t cause trouble but it seems to find me.” He nodded.

“Well I really hope I’ll see you at the party.” He turned to walk into the woods. I dropped my flip flops and put them on still holding the flyer. Allison would want to go so…I guess i had no choice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A boat party!!” Allison clapped her hands and cheered. “We are so going!” She looked at me and Pepsi.

“I hope so!” Pep said with a smile. I just nodded.

“What about you Matt?” Allison asked.

“Of course wouldn’t miss it for the world.” He glanced at me but I didn’t look backat him.

“Okay then it’s settled who wants to go swimming?” I said running toward the water. Allison and Pepsi followed as I ran to the dock and jumped.

 I swam as far as I could until I touched the bottom taking a handful of sand. I held it in my fist and watched it start to slip out. The air in my lung was running out but I stayed down. I closed my eyes and held on putting my palms against a big rock. The water went through my hair and made me feel free. My chest burned but I stayed down. Just when I thought I would explode I felt a warm hand grab my waste and pull me up. I was so shocked and it happened so fast I didn’t know what to do. Then I was suddenly above the water and breathing in the air. The first people I saw were Allison and Pepsi giving me worried looks. I still felt the hands on my waste and I turned to see Matt.

“What the hell?!” He asked.

“Exactly!” I said still tired from not breathing. “What the hell?!”

“Do you know how long you were under there for?!” He asked. I saw anger and concern in his eyes.

“No I don’t really time myself.” I said pushing away from him. “What?!” I looked at the three of them. “Did you think I was trying to drown myself?!” They didn’t respond. I was so appalled. Did they think I was that messed up? I started to swim back to the shore. Then I grabbed my towel and sat down in the sand. I laid back and closed my eyes.