Chapter 24

Both Nicole and Grace eagerly wait for Nicholas to come out of the room where he has been with Pop for over an hour trying to talk him out of the engagement for Nicole.

As soon as Nicholas is out of the room both the girls are on him, rapidly firing the questions until Nicholas stops them both from asking anymore.

"Nicky, mum will be waiting for you in your room. Go get ready for tonight" Nicholas sadly requests her.

Nicole just stares at him in disbelief, her stare full of hurt and betrayal, still Nicholas does not say anything and waits for her to go while keeping a hold of Grace's arm stopping her from saying anything.

As soon as Nicole leaves, he pulls his wife away to their room, for some privacy.

"Is she really getting engaged?" Grace meekly asks the questions not understanding how he could not stop their Pop.

"It's not as easy as you all think; this arrangement has been long done. Unfortunately, Pop has the habit of throwing this bomb on us when he wishes...

I tried to talk him out of this but his words they are law in our life"

"So, that's it. You are going to just stand in here and let your sister throw away her life with someone she does not want to be with?" Grace asks him incredulously.

"Don't speak about things you don't know Grace" he warns her sternly.

"You cannot do this to your own sister, we both know that Arson is the one for her and we also know that Nicole isn't the one to quietly do as you all ask her of"

"I know what she can do and not, my hands are tied on this one"

"Just like it was when you had to marry me," Grace murmurs to herself.

"Of course you have to go there, every single time. I don't know what else you want me to do, to make this work" he asks pointing between them, exasperated fighting and discussing the same thing over and over again.

*******

Grace keeps quiet biting on her lower lips as she does not want to fight with him anymore, as that is the only thing they have been doing for the past few weeks.

Nicholas sighs tiredly as he watches her stand in front of him quietly, so he pulls her in his arms for a hug, lightly kissing on her forehead he just holds her to him.

"Things don't always work as we want it to, honey, even I am not happy with this whole deal...

She is my baby sister and I do want good and happy things for her. I know where her happiness lies. The life I live and I have seen I do not want to push Nicky in it as well...

You think I like seeing both of you being with guards all the time, I know how you both feel with constantly being on watch, but that is the only thing that makes me feel okay, knowing you are protected safely...

I am trying to get out of this business, I am more than ready to shut this whole mafia thing down and for that I want and need both of you on my side, a bit of patience and trust in me would do me good...

I will not let anyone destroy Nicky's happiness, if it is with Arson then so be it, I will give everything to keep it that way, but for now I want both of you to do as I ask...

Can you do that for me?" he asks as he holds her face in his palm and stares in her eyes.

When she nods in approval, he smiles her way in relief.

"Good, now can you go and ask Nicky to not fight her brother on this and quietly be ready for tonight?" he asks her.

"Okay" Grace smiles as this time she kisses him on his lips before rushing out of the room.