Chapter 11: blood lust

The blood that rushed into my mouth was so intoxicating that it drowned out all my other scenes. I couldn’t hear as he screamed, I couldn’t feel him struggling and I couldn’t hear his heart stop beating. All I was aware of was the feeling of power rushing through my body. Like every cell was buzzing with new life, like I could stop a train with a single hand. The blood cured my hunger like no food ever has and as he dropped to the floor, lifeless, I had full control of my body and my senses. I could hear the cashier putting money in his till, I could hear mothers reading their children bed time stories from across the road, I could hear the indicator of a passing car.

I looked down at the man on the floor, my saliva healing his bite wound magically. his face pale, his lips blue. He is dead. But then again so was I. Wondering if I looked like that, I made my way over to the mirror and gasped. I didn’t look like him, I looked alive. More alive than I ever had before. My green eyes glowing like a cats, my blond hair straight and long, pale skin with no imperfections, and full, red lips. I looked ferocious. Although my dress was splattered with blood. I smile at myself and see my beautiful fans retract back into my gums. Is this what I am now? A monster? I panic as I realise I need to do something about the dead body. Luckily there is no blood on the floor seeing as I drank it all, but the dead body will definitely be noticed. I pick him up, with one of this arms draped around my shoulder and walk out of the bathroom. I am stronger than I have ever been before and lifting this man is easy. I walk over to the mechanics shop and place him under a car, then I break the lever and the car comes crashing down on his head. Breaking his skull. That should confuse the local authorities enough to clear my name. I then walk to the bathroom and leave the key in the door, where the cashier will find it and hopefully think I just forgot to give it back. I start walking away from the scene of the crime, I need to find clothes and shoes.

Different POV

Dimitri and Rachess are driving back from a feed. Dusty Springfield is playing on the radio and Dimitri is tapping along to the beat.

“This world has changed so much” Rachess ponders aloud “how am I going to keep up with the new technologies?”

“Its not your job to learn! Your just the mindless killing machine” Dimitri retorts

“Then I could rip your heart from your chest right now”

“Don’t threaten me! I performed that spell. We both know that if I die, you die too!”

They were pulling into the driveway, too busy arguing that Rachess almost didn’t notice graces scent.

“STOP THE CAR” he yelled at Dimitri.

The car swerved to a halt.

“Whats wrong?” concern littering Dimitris’ features

“Its grace, I can smell her”

“From the house?”

“No from the driveway, she was here.”

“She escaped?!” Dimitri bellowed 

“Yes, a while ago too. This is not good” Rachess opened the door and jumped out of the car, trying to see where grace went

“What’s so bad about her escaping?” Dimitri said, following Rachess out of the car and onto the road.

Rachess turned to look at him. “When you are turned into a vampire, you loose your soul, your humanity. It’s a survival feature so that your first time drinking blood isn’t so hard. The only way to get your soul back is to feed on someone without killing them.” He pauses and walks towards Dimitri “but she won’t do that because she doesn’t have a soul to stop her” 

Dimitri looks confused as he processes this information “Well how do other vampires get their soul back if they don’t want to spare their victims?”

“Their creators intervene before the person has died, this is why I must find her”

“No! you need to stay here with me and do whatever you are told”

“She is out there somewhere confused, thinking she is a murderer!”  Rachess takes a step closer to Dimitri “if she kills too many people then the police will eventually find out and alert her parents. Resulting in too many questions. If we find her now then we can save ourselves the trouble later on.”

Dimitri thinks this over, his hands running through his black hair. “Fine, you can go look for her. I will give you a month and if you haven’t found her by then, we forget about her.”

“Deal”