Fifteen

A/N: I have some news for you guys that you won't be happy to hear. I'm taking a break from Wattpad for a while so that I can complete and edit a novel that I'm going to try to get published. I'll try and update when I can, but it's not going to be very often. I'm sorry. Love you all!

VOTE. COMMENT. FAN. ENJOY. :D

                                                        Chapter Fifteen

                                                             • Aubrey •

Did I really just say that?

I lean against the bathroom wall, the door locked behind me. I know what’s happening, but I didn’t think it would happen to me. Glancing back in the direction of the room, I hear Stiles pace for a minute before sitting down in the chair near my bed. I close my eyes. I’m in love with him, but I definitely don’t want to be.

            It’s ridiculous that I feel like this, but I can’t deny the way my heart goes boom boom boom in my chest when his eyes meet mine. Though I’ve really only known him for about twenty-four hours, it doesn’t matter. Time doesn’t matter. Nothing matters.

            Werewolves don’t really have mates. No, that’s just something that movies and stories have cooked up to trick girls into handing over their money. It’s more like a bond. You feel this connection to the person, one that can only really be severed by death; I’m not sure if he would feel it, since I’m pretty sure it’s never happened with a human before. Not like this. Not this powerful.

            I should have known there was something different about him. Seeing him as he entered the chemistry classroom, organized chaos, sparked something within me. I just didn’t know until now that it was love.

            So many things that are beautiful. So many things that could go wrong. So many ways for me to destroy him.

            Because that’s what is going to happen if I love him. I’ll destroy him.

            Things like this just don’t happen.

            My fate has always been laid out for me, clear as crystal. I am the descendant, the only living offspring that directly came from the original werewolf. I am the most powerful thing alive, capable of total control. I am one part of the triskele, something that is set in stone. In a few weeks, I’m supposed to marry a chauvinistic asshole that won’t make me happy just so that I can take hold of my destiny. I am not supposed to love a human― I’m not supposed to love anyone. Love is weakness, and it interferes. I’ve been led onto this clear, straight path. There’s no room for me to stray from it.

            Now there is― all because of him. Now I have a choice, which isn’t something I’ve ever been faced with.

            Do I stay on my set path, or do I run as far and fast as I can with him?

            Robert Frost runs through my mind. ‘Two roads diverged in a yellow wood’… But which road to take? The one that leads to the ultimate destination that I know I’m supposed to travel? Or the gnarly, twisted path lined with thorns and blood that he stands at the end of? I shake my head, thinking that this is all too much.

            Right now, I don’t need to make a decision. I’ve never had to make one before, so why start now? I’m a professional at playing the neutral part, being Switzerland. Lying is my area of expertise.