Four

Chapter Four

When I walk into English, the whole room turns silent and stares at me. I swear some people even seize breathing. Feeling self-conscious, I try to dart to the back corner of the room, where I see an unoccupied seat, but the teacher stops me and tells me to stand in front of the class.

            Dang it, I think. So close.

            The teacher― I think her name is Ms. Hall― stands and places a hand on my shoulder. I try not to flinch away from her touch. “Class, this is our new student, Aubrey Hale.”

            Great, so my last name is Hale now. I’m related to Derek and Peter. Just great.

            “Would you like to tell us a little bit about yourself, Aubrey?” She asks, smiling up at me.

            No, I would like to incinerate on the spot, thank you very much.

            I put on a smile and try to look like an innocent fifteen-year-old girl, but I’m pretty sure I’m not a good actress. “My name is Aubrey.”

            The class laughs while I try to shrink into myself. Ms. Hall says in a crisp and clean voice, “Is there anything else you’d like to tell us?”

            I shake my head fast, wanting to run out and linger in the hallway again. That or escape into the woods that are just outside the school. Instead, I walk slowly over to the empty desk I spotted earlier and settle in, trying to ignore the eyes on me. I’ve never been one for attention, and I’m not going to encourage it by looking up.

            The girl in front of me whirls around as soon as I sit down and whispers, “You’re Derek Hale’s sister?”

            I look up slowly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. She doesn’t flinch when she sees the color of my eyes, like most people do. “Apparently.”

            She cocks her head to the side a little. “How come I’ve never seen you around here before?”

            Does Derek fraternize with everyone in town? He sure scares the hell out of me.

            I shrug, trying to look nonchalant. “I was home schooled.”

            A look of surprise is clear on her face. “Derek home schooled you?”

            Yeah, I know, I don’t believe it either. Somehow, Derek doesn’t strike me as the kind of person that would sit around patiently while I tried to learn how to solve equations and read To Kill a Mockingbird.

            I nod instead while I rummage around in my bag. In the background, I hear Mrs. Hall say something around the fact that we’re going to be writing poetry today. I realize that I don’t have any paper to write on and I refrain from cursing. After all, it’s Derek’s fault that he’s not playing the role of the responsible “older brother”.

            The girl hands a blank notebook back to me. “Here, you can have this. I have so many that it’s no problem to give one away.” She lightly laughs and I thank her.

            She starts to turn back around but then quickly remembers something. “Oh, my name is Allison Argent.”

            I smile. “Enchanté.” She furrows her eyebrows. “It’s French― oh, never mind.” I make a mental note to remind myself to stop speaking French randomly. It’s just a habit where I occasionally switch from English to French.

            One of the members of the alpha pack is named Benoit― Ben for short. He came from Canada, which means that he speaks French. When I was little, he used to teach me the language to keep me entertained. I’ve never really had a need to use it, except for when I want to yell things at Roxanne but I don’t want her to understand. So I guess it is useful.

            I don’t feel any eyes on me anymore, so I let out a breath and start writing. I’ve always liked poetry, because it calms me down and lets my mind focus on something instead of wandering to unpleasant memories.

            Violet eyes piercing through the veil

            The darkness you can feel

            The monsters are coming

            They are real

            Seeping through the shadows

            Consuming all the light

            Blood will spill

            Stay away from the night

            Sharp teeth

            Tearing through the delicate skin

            Humans are so fragile

            They live in selfish sin

            Creatures of the black

            Come out to play

            Never again will they

            See the light of day

            The moon is full

            Let the dark take its toll

            You should run

            The monsters have lost control

            I don’t realize that I’ve been reciting the poem out loud as I write it, and that everyone is staring at me once again. A look of horror is clear of Mrs. Hall’s face, and I know I’ve done something wrong. Then, I realize that it’s about the poem.

            “What?” I yell. “Not all poems can be happy! Life isn’t exactly a merry-go-round.” I’ve dug a hole for myself and I just keep burying myself under.

            I didn’t choose this life for myself. I didn’t want any of this. I didn’t want to be a monster.