Sequel (Sneak Peek)

Hey guys! How was everyone's summer? I'm sure everyone's started school again. Well, since you last heard from me, I decided to join my school's marching band. And man is that c-r-a-z-y! So, I planned on uploading this sneak peek yesterday, but I had band practice all day and last night, I went bowling to chaperone my friend's date (long story). When I got home, I fell asleep walking up the stairs. XD

(Oh, and it's also been a Harry Potter weekend.)

But, I have news on the sequel front! Blue Moon will be up October 1st! Keep an eye out and save the date! For now, though, here's a special sneak peek!

(UPDATE: It's posted, as of October 8, 2013.)

P.S.~ How do you like the new cover? It was made by megqueenz! (The Blue Moon one, too.) So if you're not a fan of her now, go go go! :D

Red and blue lights pulse, illuminating the woods in flashes. It’s like looking at photos of a crime scene instead of actually being there; distorted images like a dying heart.

And boy, is this a gruesome scene. Against my dad’s wishes, I had trailed him to the site, making sure to keep my headlights off and stay a safe distance behind. Now, I have to tear my eyes away from the blood splattering dead leaves and barren trees, trying not to be sick. My stomach isn’t built to withstand this much gore. 

I grip the tree I’m hiding behind with numb fingers, my eyes glazing over chunks of... something. Human. That’s just gross. Can we just have one week where someone isn’t torn apart?

Ambulance sirens pierce the air, assaulting my ears with blaring horns. A stretcher comes out and two guys in uniform lift remains onto it― a grotesque collage of dismembered parts and torn flesh. I’m sure that they’re going straight to the morgue, since there’s absolutely no way anyone― or anything― could survive that amount of damage. Being separated multiple times isn’t exactly an easy fix. 

When they wheel the stretcher away, I know that I have to get a look at the body. I really don’t want to, but if I’m going to report anything back to Scott, it has to be something good. It also has to be a good reason to be found out by my dad. 

Zeroing in, I notice that the paramedics’ names are Hank and John. Doing my best impression of the sheriff, I call out, “Hey, come here for a second. Take a look at this.”
To my surprise, their heads whip around in unison to the epicenter of blood and guts; they leave the stretcher near the back of the ambulance. I guess they weren’t the first in their class. 

Quickly and quietly, I make my way over to the body. Carefully unzipping the bag, I peer inside. And I freeze, fear creeping through my body like poison.

His face is almost unrecognizable, but I would know it anywhere. Even in a million people, I could spot him out. 

Unable to breathe, I dial Scott’s number, my fingers fumbling, and press the phone to my ear. He picks up on the third ring, his voice rough with sleep and irritation. “Stiles, it’s TWO IN THE MORNING. This better be good.”

“Trust me, it is,” I say, my voice shaking. “There’s been another kanima attack.”

“Gerard attacked someone? Do we know who?”

Why am I always the one to discover these things? When I speak again, there’s a grim tone to my voice. “Yeah, we know who the victim is. We just don’t know who the kanima is.”

He sounds puzzled, like a student being told the obvious answer isn’t correct. “No, we know the kanima is Gerard.”

“That’s impossible.” I let out a breath, turning around to see if anyone has discovered me. “It’s Gerard― he’s dead.”