Chapter Six: The Cistern Temple

*Sorry for my absence.  Will do my best to update when I can, and hope you all enjoy reading this chapter!  Votes and comments are always welcome despite my absence!  Thank you!

The large stone formation seemed to rise ominously from the mist, and the loud splashing of water was heard.  As they walked closer, she could see the twisting form of a serpentine dragon, whose eyes were set with sapphires, expertly carved into the pair of stone doors.  Runes surrounded the dragon in a circle and water poured in front of the double doors into a large pool.

Shaheen fluttered off Rima’s shoulder and landed on a tree branch nearby as the Guardian approached the stone doors.  The Guardian squinted at the runes, but still couldn’t read them.  She promptly pulled off her boots and socks, cuffed her pants, dumped her bag and scimitar onto the ground, and waded into the cool water.  The size of the pool was clearly deep, given how quickly the water rose up to her chin.  At this point, she knew she wouldn’t be able to read the runes on the doors unless she was a little… taller.

Rima turned in the water, and noticed that Alistair was still standing just along the edge of the pool, watching with an amused expression.

“Do you mind coming into the water to help me?” she asked him, exasperated.

After a moment's pause, he agreed to do so by volunteering to hoist her on his shoulder.  His relentless teasing of her small frame and height didn't help.

“So?”  Alistair shifted her on his shoulder.  Her body had been unusually still as she studied the runes in silence for several minutes.  “What are you supposed to do?”

Rima tucked a few strands of her dark hair behind her ear and said, “We can go back to shore now.”  As her Protector slowly waded through the water, she continued, “It’s actually pretty simple.  The runes have a basic test to show my knowledge of controlling water.  It said to ‘arc’ the water from the waterfall into that fountain over there.”  She pointed at a small stone fountain they hadn’t noticed before in front of the pool.

He knitted his brows.  “It’s just a bowl.  There’s no pipe for the water.”

“Maybe it’s a magical fountain.”

The two of them finally reached the edge of the pool, and Alistair bent so Rima could hop down from his shoulder.  He straightened himself to his full height, his clothes soaked and dripping.

“Thank you,” she said, squeezing some of the water out of her shirt and pants.  “I wasn’t too… heavy, was I?”  Rima looked up at him.

He grinned down at her, squeezing water out of his own clothes.  “I was staggering under your weight.  All right, no, that’s a joke.  You were really easy to carry, Rima.  Nothing to worry about.  Do your magic thing.”

Alistair turned away and fished a handkerchief from his pack and wiped his hands.

She nodded, walked over to the fountain and slowly inhaled.  She closed her eyes, taking in a few deep breaths.  She focused her will on the waterfall and drew upon her necklace for energy. 

“Alua,” Rima murmured, raising her arms and turning her palms toward the water.  She opened her eyes, and small streams of the water began to flow through the air to her hands.  She pursed her lips and intended for the water to increase.  Her heartbeat increased and her knees suddenly buckled from the weight; a current of the water had spurted from the waterfall, and keeping it midair was taxing.

As carefully as she could, the Guardian edged around the fountain and moved her arms in a swooping motion over her head, as if reaching for something.  The water followed in a graceful arc, and splashed into the stone fountain.