Chapter Fourteen: Traitorous Mind

Note:  I know this took forever.  Things were really busy after I came back from Vancouver, because I had an internship.  But I think I'll be done in a few days, so I'll have some time to work on writing a bit before school starts.  To those who are still waiting for updates and reading this, thanks so much for being patient.  I do plan on finishing this and continuing to rewrite the next story I have planned.  Hope you enjoy reading and express your support (comments and likes are always nice)!  Cheers.

Rima’s heart seemed to stop.  “What—?”

“What the hell are you doing here?” he snarled, attempting to sit up on the bed.

“What do you mean…?” Rima began, but stopped when she saw his healing wounds stretch and fresh blood seeped out of them.  “Alistair, you shouldn’t move…” she leaned forward to push him back on the bed, but Alistair slapped her hand away, sneering.

“Why are you here?” he shouted, and Rima flinched.  He had never shouted at her before, never raised a hand against her.

The door opened and Laurel, Shan and Caleb burst into the room, no doubt because of Alistair’s shouts.  Shaheen had woken and hopped onto Rima’s shoulder, eyeing the Protector warily. 

“I’m helping you,” she said in a small voice.

“Helping me?” he repeated incredulously, and laughed harshly.

Alistair pointed an accusing finger at her.  “You betrayed me.  I don’t want to see your face again.”

“I didn't—”

“Get out!”

Shaheen squawked softly, and before Rima knew it, Caleb and Shan were leading her out of the room.  The last thing she saw before the door closed on her was Laurel attempting to push Alistair back down on the bed.

“I don’t understand,” Rima whispered, leaning against the balcony.  “What did they do to him?”

“I’m sorry, Rima.”  Shan’s deep timbre was mildly comforting.

Caleb wrapped an arm around her and hugged her to his side.

“I’m guessing that they didn’t just physically torture him.”  The sound of Laurel’s voice made them all look up.

The healer gently closed the door behind her, a bowl of water in her hand. 

“He just dozed off,” she said to Rima.  Laurel set the bowl down and sat down on a nearby chair with a sigh.  Shan reached for her hand and rubbed his thumb against the back of it.  Rima felt a mild twinge in her chest.

Laurel shot the monk a smile and turned back to Rima, her countenance becoming serious again.  “They probably tortured him with magic too.  Changed his memories.  His perception of you.”

“I never knew that kind of magic existed.”

Laurel smiled sadly.  “I wouldn’t expect you to know.  Your training specialized in elemental magic.”

“Do you… do you know if there’s a way to, you know, fix it?”

“I honestly don’t know.  I’ve never had to deal with the consequences of this before.  I’ll see what I can find in the books I brought, though.”

The healer gathered up her things and left with Caleb.

Rima glanced over to see the monk still standing there, looking rather uncomfortable.