(8) Only in a Lifetime

Chapter 8

Jesse’s POV

I took a bottle of whiskey from the draw at the side of my bed, along with some cigarettes. I threw the cigarettes into my school bag but I drank half of the bottle of whiskey. This is how my mornings had been starting for the past week. I still hadn’t spoken to Charles, or Geoffrey. The only thing I knew was that Charles hadn’t been seen by paparazzi for the same length of time as me.

I let the alcohol burn its way down my throat as I put the lid on my bottle before placing it gently into my bag. ‘Jesse, Alexia says she has to tell you something,’ Kayda insisted as she stood in my doorframe.

‘Tell her I’ll be down in a minute,’ I slurred as I threw my bag onto my back before picking up the small glass of vodka from last night. I quickly drank it before leaving it on the table. Kayda groaned as she walked away from my room. I picked my phone up from my bed before tapping the number of the palace into my phone.

‘Driftwood Palace, if you would like to speak to a tour guide, press 1. If you would like to learn more about the island, press 2. If you would like to get put through to the reception, press 3.’ I pressed three repeatedly trying to stop the robotic voice speaking.

‘Driftwood Palace reception, who is calling?’ a different receptionist from yesterday asked.

‘It’s Jesse,’ I stated knowing that whoever was on the receiving line would know who I am.

‘Jesse Taylor?’ the voice questioned before pausing. I didn’t even say anything in reply. ‘You’ve been told before, Prince Charles would not like to speak to you,’ the receptionist restated.

‘I know that,’ I answered simply. ‘But I need to speak to him!’ I yelled.

‘Calm down, sir.’

‘Put me through to Charles,’ I instructed.

‘That would be Prince Charles,’ the receptionist corrected.

‘Just put me through to him.’

‘Not happening, Jesse. You’ve been told plenty of times; don’t make me call security to your house. You’ll get done for harassing royalty,’ the receptionist threatened.

‘Then be it.’ And then the phone line went dead. I picked up a pillow and pressed to my face before groaning loudly.

                ‘You’re kidding right?’ I spat as Alexia made her announcement.

‘Jesse I thought you would be happy,’ my dad claimed as he walked over to me. ‘What has gotten into you recently?’

‘Nothing has gotten into me.’ I crossed my arms before rolling my eyes. ‘What’s gotten into Alexia on the other hand? Oh, that’s right, your dick!’ I yelled as I stormed away from the lounge.

‘Jesse Daniel Taylor, come back here right now!’ my dad shouted after me.

‘Go fuck yourself!’ I shouted in response as I slammed the door shut behind me.

Isabella rushed behind me as I walked through the school corridor. ‘Jesse this is the third lesson you’ve walked out of today,’ she told me as she grabbed onto my arm.

‘Your point is?’ I questioned.

‘You need to learn,’ she lectured.

‘Do you know what I need? I need some vodka, do you have any?’ I asked with a smile. Isabella looked at me.