(6) Only in a Lifetime

Chapter 6

Charles’s POV

Since the party Jesse went to just over a week ago, we haven’t been spending as much time together. I’m not sure why, he always has excuses. ‘Hey,’ Jesse greeted me as he walked into the game room where I was sat with Geoffrey.

‘Hello,’ I greeted in return as Jesse sat on the chair opposite to us. ‘So, do you have a shopping spree to go on with your friends? Or a party, yeah a party sounds good,’ I mumbled in annoyance.

‘Charles what are you on about?’ Jesse asked as he swung his legs over the arm of the chair.

‘I don’t know, perhaps you want to go off again,’ I complained. ‘Excuses, excuses,’ I repeated as I watched the football match which was on TV.

‘Aren’t I allowed free time as well?’ Jesse asked back as he crossed his arms. ‘If you didn’t know Charles, I have a life also.’

‘A life which is too busy for his boyfriend, apparently. “Sorry Charles, I can’t sleepover we are going to the beach in the morning so I’m staying at a friend’s” or maybe “I can’t have dinner at your place, a new movie came out which I really want to see,”’ I quoted Jesse. He just looked at me then rolled his eyes.

‘That’s coming from you Charles. How about my time at school then? Do you know what happened on my first day? About the fight I got in with my gym teacher?’ Jesse asked rhetorically. ‘No you don’t, and you know why? Because you were too busy for me,’ Jesse finished raising his voice.

‘I’m a prince Jesse, what do you expect me to do?’ I asked as I looked from the TV to Jesse.

‘You have to at least have time for me,’ Jesse answered sharply.

‘Why? You don’t have time for me,’ I said plainly trying to wind Jesse up.

‘For God sake Charles, stop acting like everything revolves around you!’ Jesse raised his voice as he stood up. ‘What if I needed you? For the past, what is it? Two weeks since you last actually spoke to me like a real boyfriend?’ Jesse snapped. What has gotten into him?

‘Jesse...’ I muttered as I stood up also.

‘No Charles, not Jesse,’ Jesse whined trying to mock me. ‘Look call me back when you actually want to speak to me, and then maybe we can talk properly,’ Jesse finished as he stormed out the room. I groaned loudly before smacking my head down on Geoffrey’s leg causing him to make a “offt” sound.

‘Why is my life so hard?’ I asked him as I covered my face with a pillow.

‘You don’t know half of it,’ I heard Geoffrey whisper but I ignored him.

                ‘Do you think that Jesse is cheating on me?’ I questioned Geoffrey as I looked up to him with a plain face. Geoffrey looked at me before rolling his eyes. ‘I’m serious, Geoffrey. I mean he has been hanging around with his friends loads recently.’

‘So what? Jesse has friends, so do most people his age,’ Geoffrey replied as he watched me rub my head on his leg.

‘You don’t have friends, I don’t have friends,’ I laughed. I guess I have friends’, not real ones but I have some.

‘We aren’t most people Charles,’ Geoffrey stated. ‘I’ve grown up in a palace, looking after a prince. You are a prince, with a butler, and maid. Neither of us have been to school, the place where you make friends.’

‘That means nothing.’ I sat up and looked at Geoffrey. ‘I have Callie and those people from America, I sort of forgot their names but they’re still my friends.’ Geoffrey rolled his eyes again. ‘How do you know that Jesse isn’t cheating?’ I asked Geoffrey as I looked at him intensely.