Let's Not Fall In Love

"How invested are you in us?" 

His question takes me by surprise. I feel my heart drop and a wave of nausea overcomes me, and suddenly I'm barely able to make eye contact with him. My body language says it all - I'm crossing my arms, looking down. 

Self-defense. 

"Could you give me a few minutes?" I request. 

"No, gut instinct." He replies without faltering. 

"Very," I manage to choke out between my tears threatening to fall, "I'm very invested." My nose stings. I love him so much - but it's not that simple.

I glance up at him, and remember. His forehead pressed against mine, his warm breath on my cheeks. Blissful smiles escape both of our lips and his strong arms pull me closer to him. The steady beating of his heart makes me feel safe, and I don't want to let go. I want so desperately to live so deeply and presently in those moments, but too soon they feel like distant memories I think about every day. 

Our fingers intertwine and we squeeze each others' hands tight, knowing that in spite of our flaws and disagreements we have chosen to stick to each other and only love each other even more. Yet, it's still so hard. The mind inevitably sends you on a journey of catastrophe - of tireless fights, broken hearts, dark lonely nights. And my heart aches, for I love you and I can have you, but why do I find it so hard to let myself fall? Is it truly better to forget that we have fallen in love? 

I snap back into reality. His eyes look at me with concern, but I must be fair to him too. 

And so I make my decision - and I don't look back.