Alex & Me Ch.5

For helping me get through what potentially could have been my first writer's block....Thank you! :)

Okay so here's the next chapter. Please comment so I'll know if you want to read more. And also if you find any mistake that escaped me.

I try and edit my chapters before posting but still.

Thank you for reading! :)

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex & Me

Chapter 5

The week passed pretty quickly and they set us huge amounts of homework. When it was Friday I was glad for the weekend. That meant no school for two whole days. So I wasn't in the best of moods when I was very rudely awakened from my sleep on Saturday.

"Nooo! Let me sleep Mom! Its Saturday" I wailed and turned over to the other side pulling my blanket with me and snuggled into my pillow.

"You need to get up Peanut!" a very high-pitched voice cried. A voice that definitely didn't belong to mom.

"You're not Mom," I pointed out my eyes still closed. Very insightful I know.

"No I'm not," Alex said chuckling,"But you do need to get up Z."

"Why?" I asked slowly opening my eyes to find two black eyes staring back at me.

"We have to go to the park remember? Come on! Get up!"

"This early? We can go after lunch can't we? " I pouted.

"No not really. Well, yeah we can but I have to show you something and it'll be so much better in the morning."

"What is it ?"

"Nuh-uh. You have to come see it," he said, eyes twinkling and pulled me up taking both of my hands in his. I blushed. He just smirked and then left asking me to get ready and come down fast. I sighed and got up, resigned. I brushed my teeth and had a quick bath. After getting ready I went down to the kitchen. The smells floating around were heavenly. Mom had made pancakes. And suddenly I was very hungry. Alex was sitting at the table talking to Mom and having his breakfast. When I entered, both of them looked up and smiled.

"Good Morning honey! Alex tells me you guys have plans to go to the park today ?" she asked handing over a plate.

"Sure he tells you" I mumbled, taking the plate from her and sitting down next to Alex.

But they heard me and I could see them pressing their lips together, trying not to laugh. I glared at Al and my mom finally burst out seeing my disgruntled face. Alex soon joined in and I did too begrudgingly. We finished our breakfast and got ready to leave. We were at the door when I noticed that Alex was carrying a backpack.

"What is that?"

"Later."

I frowned but then my mom pulled me into a hug.

"Be careful honey. And please don't fall." she whispered the last part. I was grateful that Alex hadn't heard that or maybe he had but chose not to say anything, probably trying not to aggravate me further seeing how I was not in a very good mood. If so, that boy was smart.

"Don't worry, Mom." I said, pulling away and smiling at the concern in her eyes. "See you later." 

Alex and I decided to walk to the park. The weather was  pleasant and a light cool breeze was blowing. We reached the park in ten minutes. Rather than going to the benches Alex took a left and disappeared into the thick bushes. I just stood staring after him. The bushes then moved again and parted, revealing Alex. He gestured at me to come forward and took my hand and pulled me through. Luckily this time he didn't see me blushing.

We went through the bushes and after walking for a while he stopped. I looked around and all I could see was green everywhere. Creepers and climbers hung from the trees and all other surfaces. There was this huge rock with a flat surface that was covered by so many creepers that you couldn't see even a small part of the surface. Alex went to it and parted the creepers like you would part a curtain.

And my jaw dropped.

I was definitely not expecting what I saw. The curtained-creepers parted revealing an alcove created by three or four large bouldersI. It was wide enough for three people to sit comfortably and long enough that a grown man could sleep without being discovered. Alex went inside and sat and I followed wide-eyed. It was beautiful and secluded so it was peaceful. We sat with our backs to the back wall facing the opening. One huge thick and flat slab-like rock was on top resting on the two boulders at the side so we were protected from the sun. It was cool inside.

"So do you like it?" Alex asked, chuckling at my expression and I realised my mouth was still parted in awe.

I closed it and nodded.

"That's good."

"How did you find it?" I whispered, curious.

"Oh well I was just roaming around the park yesterday and stumbled here. Those bushes we passed through weren't too thick for me," he said, grinning. "It was easy to try and get through them. I put my hand on the climbers for support thinking there was rock underneath. That's how I discovered it." he grinned, proud.

"It's so beautiful..." I said still looking around in wonder. It was like I'd stepped into a different world altogether. It wasn't everyday you find places like these.

"That it is. I'm glad you liked it. No one knows about this place. Not even Sam or Eric. It'll be our secret." he smiled.

I laughed and nodded.

"So what do you have in that bag ?"

"Nothing much. Just some sandwiches, water and a torch."

"Oh, alright." That was good thinking.

We were quite then for sometime. Alex broke the silence by deciding to ask me a question.

"So uh..what's your favourite colour ?"

I smiled and answered blue. He asked why and I said because I loved the sky. It was so freeing watching the birds soar through it and the clouds drifting. I asked him what was his favourite colour and he replied brown. I asked why and then answered the question myself.

"Its because you love trees right ?"

"Yeah. Trees. Right "

We went on like that. We learnt that we both hated peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I already knew he loved playing piano. He knew I was crazy for pancakes and that I loved reading. He on the other hand liked writing poems and his thoughts in a book. That was amazing. Writing poems. I couldn't rhyme to save my life. He said he wanted to get over with middle school already and I agreed.

We discovered a lot about each other that day and I'm sure it'll be one of the best memories of my life. Our friendship only grew stronger each passing day. I  was sure I'd enjoy my time at Preston with my new friends.

I know its kinda short but still I had to end it here.