27 - Secrets Are Out

Those words hit me like a ton of bricks. I separated from Logan so fast that I stumbled a bit once I stood. Logan joined me in standing doing it gracefully so unlike I had but I didn’t want to look at him. I refused to meet my eyes to his for fear of saying something I might regret. 

“That is what we agreed right?” Logan asked sounding very unsure. I felt tears threaten to spill out of my eyes and my chest began to hurt. I put my hands over my chest applying pressure in hopes of stopping the pain and nodded sadly.

Logan came to stand in front of me and felt a sudden chill run through me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and tried to meet my eyes.

“This is better for both of us,” he said. ‘I need to get over someone who doesn’t like me the same way I like her.’

I opened my mouth to protest immediately uncaring if it would sound weird. My secrets could come out to him. I could tell him I could read minds and I wouldn’t even care as long as he understood that I didn’t want to break up.

Before I could get any words out though, Logan said, “This relationship wasn’t going to go anywhere anyway.”

I closed my mouth and studied him for a few minutes; his perfectly styled blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes. I was trying to memorize everything about him though it wasn’t hard. I already had a clear picture of him inside my mind. I didn’t know why I was doing it since I knew his face was only going to be haunting my thoughts from now on.

I backed up from out of his grip and felt my lip quiver at the loss of contact. I could feel my tears start to fall down my cheeks surely smearing my makeup. I picked up my dress in preparation to book it out of there.

“I have to go,” I mumbled miserably pushing past Logan and heading for the exit. I heard Logan call my name but I was too focus on leaving. I had to scurry up all the stairs up onto the top and I was holding the end of my dress up the entire time determined not to trip.

Once I was at the top, I paused to wipe my eyes and look back down at the people.  I spotted Logan immediately watching me with a hurt expression. I shook my head toward him and continued on my path to get out of there. Once I was outside I took a painful breath and tried to calm myself.

It seemed my mind had other ideas though as my tears started to fall harder and sobs raked my body. I had to lean against the wall of the building.

“Oh honey,” someone called and I heard the clicks of two pairs of feet approach me.

“He’s really torn up about this,” another voice said. I didn’t even have to open my eyes to know it was Ally and Hazel.

I sniffled using all my energy to keep my voice under control. “I’m fine guys, just go back inside and have some fun.”

“No way,” Hazel gasped out draping my jacket over my shoulders.

Ally nodded along. “We’re taking you home right away and we aren’t going to let you be alone.”

I sighed but let them lead me toward the car that they had brought me in. Hazel drove while Ally sat in the backseat with me all the while they were muttering encouraging things.

“He’s really a jerk.”

“I never expected him to do it.”

“He looked so sad!”

“What did he say?”

I leaned my head against the cool glass of the window and tried not to cry. “He said this relationship wasn’t going to go anywhere.”