26 - It's All Or Nothing

Logan did end up getting better in almost every aspect. He got over his sickness quickly within the next few days and his attitude toward me improved greatly. We still weren’t all that talkative while we were alone, but he would smile reassuringly at me every now and then as if to show that he was okay with me. Really we were both thinking that the end was near. Nate left town shortly after Logan recovered, so I didn’t get to see him again. I had other things to worry about though. 

The ball, for instance, approached faster than I expected. The morning of, I found myself staring at my mirror wondering how I felt about it. I sighed at my reflection and blew a piece of my hair out of my face in the process. My blonde hair had grown longer in the past three months. It was about two inches passed my shoulders now.

It felt surreal. The whole break-up situation did, I mean. I didn’t feel anything for it because it didn’t feel like it was happening. I shook my head and kept staring at myself. A knock on my door interrupted any thoughts I was trying to put together.

I walked over to my door and opened it wide unsure of who to expect. Ally and Hazel stood there with armfuls of hair and makeup supplies. I started at them questioningly.

“We’re here to make you beautiful,” Hazel explained as she pushed past me into my apartment.

“But we didn’t plan this?”

Ally nodded unloading things from the bag she brought. “We know, but we wanted to do this! Go put on a button up shirt so we can do your hair and bring out your dress so we can see it!”

I furrowed my eyebrows but didn’t question them as I went to change shirts. The purpose of it was so I could slip the shirt off without ruining my hair. After that, I searched my closet for the dress I had worn at the Christmas party. I was planning on wearing that but after a few minutes of searching it was nowhere to be found.

I walked into my bathroom wondering if I had hung it up in there earlier and had just forgotten when I was surprised to see something else. It wasn’t my dress but instead it was a floor length baby blue glittery dress hanging up on the door of my bathroom. I pulled down the hanger and held up the dress in amazement. I had never bought it so I had no idea where it came from until I saw a small post-it note attached to the hanger.

I pulled it off and read:

Let’s hope tonight works out for the best and even if it doesn’t, at least you’ll look great.
-Peyton

Peyton? I hadn’t seen her since I yelled at her. I wasn’t even aware if I was still her assignment. I thought she might have given up on me. I didn’t question it much though as I took the dress on the hanger out to the girls.

“Whoa,” they said in unison as their eyes landed on it. I nodded along secretly agreeing.

“Logan won’t be able to resist you,” Ally said taking the dress from me to inspect it. She hung it up as I took a seat in a designated chair.

The girls quickly got to work first discussing what they would do and then actually getting started. They decided on an up-do where my hair would be pulled back and clipped with curls cascading around my face.

While I was being primped and pulled at I asked, “What do you mean Logan won’t be able to resist me?”

Ally glanced at me for a second before answering simply, “Just that you are going to be so gorgeous that he won’t want to take his eyes off of you.”

The way she said it made it obvious that there was more than she was actually saying.

I cast my eyes downward. “You mean he won’t want to break up with me?”