The Photograph Dilemma

The first thing I heard when I woke up was a strange buzzing noise. Slowly, I sat up and looked around my room, my eyes resting on my phone. The screen was lit up and the phone itself was buzzing its way off of the nightstand.

"Stupid phone." I grumbled to myself as I reached to pick it up.

"Hello?" I said groggily, already knowing that it was Ava from the caller ID.

"Hey! What's up? I didn't wake you, right?" Ava's cheerful voice came through the phone.

"Um, you kind of did... that's Ok though. I should be up anyway." My eyes squinted at my clock as I read the time. It actually wasn't that early.

"Oops! Sorry! Well, anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to go with me to the mall! We can shop for real this time!"

"Sure. I mean, I'll have to check with my mom, but I don't think I have anything. Ugh, my life is so boring." I told her as I got out of my bed. Slowly, I opened my door and walked into the bathroom. So much for wearing no make up today.

"OK! What time should I pick you up?"

"I don't know, what time do you want to get there? It was your idea!"

I laughed as Ava groaned. "Fine, um... how about in an hour and a half. I'll be by at 11."

"Ok. I'll see you then. Do we need a ride, or are your parents going to give us one?"

There was a hesitation on the other line. "Well, I was thinking that my dad could drive us there."

"That's fine!" I said, not sure why she hesitated. "I'll see you soon!"

I waited to make sure Ava wasn't going to say anything else before pressing the end button and throwing my phone down onto the bathroom counter. My hands grasped cold water from the sink and I threw it at my face. I gasped as the cold water hit not only my face but also my neck.

Muttering under my breath, I took my hand towel and wiped off the water, thankful that I was still in my pajamas and didn't ruin one of my shirts. My hands slowly reached to take off my soaking shirt, along with my pants. In their place, I put on a light pink dress that fell to slightly above my knees. It was comfortable and easy to take on and off, something that would come in handy at the mall if I was going to be trying on clothes.

After I applied some mascara to bring out my light eyelashes, my eyes caught a gold charm bracelet I had received for my birthday last year. Deciding that I would wear it, I carried it down the stairs with me after grabbing a white purse.

"Zoe, clasp this bracelet for me." I demanded, sticking out my wrist to block her view of her breakfast.

"What? Oh my gosh, fine. I hope you're not staying here all day, Cindy and Catherine are coming over here soon and I don't want you to be in the house. They don't exactly know you're my sister, and I don't want my popularity to be lessened because of you."

Zoe teased me with a smile on her face, but even so I gave her a little whack. "No, I'm going to the mall. You know, that place where people with social lives go."

"Wait, if it's for people with social lives, why are you going there?

I rolled my eyes and got out a bowl to pour cheerios into. Just as I pulled out the box, I saw the Frosted Flakes.

"When did we get these? Yes!" I did a small fist pump in the air and poured myself a bowl of the sugary cereal. Frosted Flakes were so good.

"When did you become so ugly?" Zoe responded almost on instinct, and I rolled my eyes. Her snarky comments were routine, especially in the morning.

"Are mom and dad up?"