Figured it Out

Sorry for the late updates!! I've been really busy with school, but school is over, so I'll have a lot more time to write!

Figured it Out

I closed the piece of paper, pretending to be examining my nails. As I looked up at Derek, I realized it was either tell him and ruin out relationship, or not tell him and be at risk for... whatever the person is going to do.

"All right, we should probably head out, the staff is glaring at us for blocking the doorway." Ethan said, and we laughed as we headed back to our separate cars.

"That was nice, huh?" Derek said as we got into the car.

"Yeah." I waited until the engine was turned on before taking out the note.

"Derek?"

"Mhm?" He said, his eyes staying on the road.

"I... You know that man I had mentioned earlier?"

"The one with the funny hat?"

"Yes. Well, he was staring at us. It looked like he was taking notes."

"Maybe a college project or something."

"Well, that's what I though. But then, I found this paper. And it has my name on it."

Derek pulled over the car, his expression turning dark, and turned to face me. "Give it to me." His voice was hard.

I silently placed the note in his outstretched hand and watched his expression darken further than I though possible. He folded up the note and handed it back to me.

"Where did you find it?"

"Stuck in the door handle."

"How would he do this? I mean, it was obviously that person, but they have absolutely no association with you at all! Could he be working for someone..." Derek looked like he wanted to jump out of the car and pace.

"It's OK. It's not like it's a very big deal." I said, lying through my teeth.

"Seriously? Do you want to just ignore the fact that a creepy stalker is trying to kill you?"

"Derek, he's not trying to kill me! Why do you always get so worked up about protecting me?"

"Because I'm your boyfriend and your friend and I care about you! Do you just want me to let you do whatever you want?"

"Well, kind of! Couldn't you just let me deal with my own problems instead of being an overprotective boyfriend?"

"So you don't want me as your boyfriend now?" Derek shot back at me.

"You know I didn't mean it like that..."

"Then what did you mean?"

"Derek..."

"You know, maybe we shouldn't be together. Obviously, we just shouldn't like each other."

Derek abruptly turned on the engine and got back onto the road, his head fixed on the road. I frowned and sat in silence. As much as I denied it, it seemed like Derek and I shouldn't be together. And, I mean, we'll break up eventually. High school relationships don't last forever...

Finally, Derek sighed. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have blown up like that." He took a deep breath. "How about this? We have a football practice tomorrow afternoon, why don't you and Ava come and watch us prepare for the game?"

"Won't we be a distraction?"

"No, you're not very noticeable. Kidding!" He said when he saw my angry face. I laughed and gently punched him in the arm.