Chapter Nine

Veronica had sent my father home, saying that I needed rest and wasn't to be disturbed. As it turns out, being in a room by yourself for four hours is very boring. My cell phone dinged on the bedside table next to me. I rolled over in the bed to grab the phone, seeing that Clawdeen had just texted me.

"You promised you would text me." I smiled to myself as I wrote up a reply.

"When you said the thing about whoever you go to the dance with....... It made me think that one certain person hadn't told you that I was going to the dance with them. And, because of that, I felt like I was lying to you, Deenie. I wanted to tell you who it was, but, that when the, uh, incident happened. I'm going to the dance with your brother."

"My brother? You have to be more specific, Draculaura."

"...... Clawd......"

"Clawd? You've got to be kidding me! You and Clawd are NOT going to be a thing, now! He's my brother and your my best friend. Not happening!" Even through text I could sense or anger. I replied with the only reasonable thing that I could think of. A lie.

"We're just going as friends, Deenie. Nothing more. Basically, the only reason was to make it so I didn't have to go with Heath." It wasn't fully a lie. I mean, Clawd was going with me as a friend, but I thought of him differently. I had waited 1600 years for a boy that I liked to come along, and now that I had found him, I couldn't be with him. Maybe another 1600 years of waiting were on their way.