two

My back arched up as my eyes darted open, revealing the safety of my room. My body was sweaty, my cheeks still warm and wet. Why did I have to be the one with the nightmares? Why was I the only one to suffer from them? They hurt, physically and mentally, and drained every ounce of energy I had in me.

But then again, I wouldn't want my brothers to be inflicted with this pain. I'd rather take it than them.

Slowly and shakily, I pulled the covers away, exposing my body to the cold air of my room. It was still dark out, stars looming outside the window. I got up and walked to the bathroom, carefully looking at the sad excuse for a reflection.

What I saw was ugly. My hair was sweaty and stringy, my face blotchy and red, tiny trails where tears had once flowed. My eyes were bloodshot, purple-blue bags beneath. My whole body shook with fear, fear that the rogue would come back.

He had never been caught. He had help, of course, but only two of the three men were caught. The fear of him murdering me and my family still lingered in the back of my mind everyday.

I washed my face, massaging my cheeks and forehead, and changed into a pair of shorts and a blue shirt. I slid my shoes into my little duffel bag before quietly tiptoeing out of my room and downstairs to the front door. Everyone else was asleep, so nobody would even notice I'm gone.

I walked around the house to the east side, where our part of the forest sat. Carefully stripping down behind a tree and stuffing the clothes in the bag, I shifted into my wolf and picked up the duffel bag in my long snout.

From that moment on, Evangeline had control, leading me through the forest and away from people. Away from my nightmare, and away from that rogue.

Honestly, I don't see why the woods don't scare me, as that was where the rogues where hiding. Something about the peaceful surroundings calmed me, even if it did hide horrors.

Evangeline didn't want to stop, and honestly neither did I. We both felt like we could run forever, just to get my mind away from things for a bit. I didn't feel the least bit tired, but as we ventured further into unknown parts of the forest, panic consumed me for the second time tonight. I felt waves of panic start to consume my body again.

Leave it to my wolf to always put me on edge. It's her best skill, and the one I hated the most. At the thought of the separate personality torturing me, Evangeline decided to pipe up and actually talk to me.

We're fine, Lena. I felt her scowl as she kept running, the white paws smacking against the leaves and dirt, effortlessly pushing us forward.

I don't know where we are, Evan. I want to go back. It's not safe and you know it.

Evangeline ignored me and pressed on, shifting east and jumping over a great big log. I could feel my stomach start to turn as we moved further and further from the house, diving deeper and deeper through the trees.

Calm it Alena, we are perfectly safe. I know the way back, and if anything tries to attack us...let's just say I'd pray for them and not us.

I know she doesn't, and I know that despite the confidence she seemed to Eldridge, there was always a part of her filled with fear. She knew that something very well could attack us out in the open, and yet she was pushing us further and further away.

Shut up. She hissed. A nervous little laugh escaped me, but I was more focused on eyeing the blurred shapes and watched as they came to a solid shape again.

We had stopped at a small stream, too small to swim in but too big for Evan to jump over.

Change and cross. She commanded. Maybe if she lets me change back I can turn ourselves back around and head back home. Silently I shifted back, dressing myself once again. As I tried to turn around, she grabbed control of my body and yanked us back to the edge of the stream.

Seriously!  We're way too far from the pack. Maybe we should just go back.

Come on, you little wimp! Aren't you supposed to be the big bad wolf? I groaned to myself before pushing my feet forward. Nobody, and I mean nobody, calls me a wimp. Not after everything I've been through, mentally and physically.

There was a split second of hesitation. I froze in the mud. I can't remember if this is still our land or what pack lies past this stream, which means we could be doing something far more dangerous than we think. She nudged my leg forward, and despite the deep pit of anxiety in my stomach, I placed one foot in front of the other. It landed on a small rock, before reaching another and another, until one more step meant I would reach the solid ground.

Go. Evan urged. Taking one last breath, I plunged forward, not expecting anything that happened next.