The Anniversary

Author's Note - Written for RaeKitano's 12th LGBT prompt challenge

My three questions were: numbers 9,33 and 17

The Anniversary

Jeff had forgotten their anniversary. Again.

Aidan muttered to himself gloomily as he tidied away the breakfast things. His own present for Jeff, a copy of the latest book by Jeff's favourite author, was wrapped in pretty paper, still sitting on the top shelf of his side of the wardrobe, under his jumpers.

Aidan bit his lip. He'd decided a week ago that he wasn't going to rush in this year, be the first to bring out his present at breakfast and wish Jeff a Happy Anniversary. No, this year he was going to wait for Jeff to make the first move, to remember, even if he had to wait all day.

The happiness he'd felt when he woke this morning was already a distant memory. He'd been full of anticipation, sure that this year Jeff would remember. Last year, Jeff had been so remorseful, so lovingly apologetic - he'd promised faithfully he would make next year - this year - special.

It wasn't the present of course, Aidan told himself, it was the remembering that was important. He sighed unconsciously.

His thoughts went back to the day they first met. Jeff was coming out of the library and Aidan was going in. As simple as that. For Aidan, it was love at first sight. Until that moment, he would have laughed at the very idea - but it felt as if Jeff had reached out a hand and gripped his heart. Unfortunately, Jeff hadn't felt the same way. It took weeks of careful planning, casual dates, romantic gestures, before Jeff began to return his feelings.

Aidan had been over the moon when Jeff agreed to move in together. And now, here they were - their third anniversary. And Jeff had forgotten. He forced himself to finish cleaning the kitchen before he allowed himself to sit down at his desk and open his laptop. Wolfboy, was waiting. He needed to stop thinking about Jeff, get his head together and write the next chapter. Forgetting their anniversary didn't mean Jeff didn't care, he told himself. Not everyone thought those sorts of symbols and customs were important. That was all.

To his horror, Aidan found he was fighting back tears. Angrily, he brushed them away. Thank god Jeff had already left for work and wasn't here to witness his meltdown. The last thing any one wanted was a lover who was clingy and needy.

Get a grip, he scolded himself. It's a stupid anniversary, not the end of the world. You know Jeff loves you, that's the important thing.

~~~

At work, Jeff was feeling frustrated and annoyed. The treat he'd arranged for Aidan - three whole months ago - had been delayed, held up by some stupid bureaucratic bungle. The machine was supposed to be there, outside their house in the front garden when they woke up, but it wasn't. Now he was on his fourth phone call of the morning, trying to fix the stuff-up.

They didn't seem to get the message that the timing was all important. No, it wouldn't be okay if it came tomorrow, or the next day. It had to be today. That was the whole point of an anniversary.

Eventually, the man on the end of the phone agreed to deliver the machine that evening, after work. Jeff had hoped he could bring it around at lunch time, but that wasn't an option. He could only hope Aidan wasn't too upset with him. He'd held his breath, ready to explain what had happened when Aidan gave him his present - but Aidan hadn't given him a present or even wished him a Happy Anniversary. He laughed wryly. He supposed it served him right that Aidan had forgotten their anniversary this year.

The day dragged. He couldn't wait to see the look on Aidan's face when he saw what he'd got for him. Eagerly, Jeff hurried home from work, peering ahead down the street to see if the machine had arrived already. At that very moment, a truck passed him and drew up outside their house. Jeff jogged the last few steps. Maybe, if he hurried, he could get it set up before Aidan saw it. The driver helped place the machine on the lawn and gave him the instruction sheet before driving off.

"I'll be back tomorrow then, to collect it. Enjoy."

A quarter of an hour later, Jeff had everything arranged to his satisfaction. He went into the house and found Aidan seated at his desk as usual, head down over his laptop. He went up behind him and gave him a big hug.

"Happy Anniversary, love. Just wait and see what I've got for you."

Rather to his surprise, Aidan sprung to his feet and hugged him back, really hard.

"I thought you'd forgotten!" He was blinking furiously.

"Hey? What's all this then?" asked Jeff, gently, wiping the tears away with his thumbs.

"Nothing. I'm an idiot."

Jeff kissed him. "Yes, you are," he agreed, fondly. "Come on, it's outside. You have to shut your eyes when you get to the front door."

Jeff guided Aidan carefully outside to the lawn. "Now stand there and wait a moment and don't open your eyes when I turn the motor on."

A sudden loud whirring sound made Aidan jump, but he managed to keep his eyes shut. He was so relieved and happy, he didn't really care what Jeff had got him.

"Now open your mouth," ordered Jeff.

Obediently Aidan did as he was asked, hoping he didn't look too much of an idiot.

Something cold and wet landed on his tongue. His eyes flew open and he saw white flakes drifting towards him from the mouth of a squat black machine. A trail of white already covered the green lawn between them.

"It's a snow machine. You got me a snow machine." Aidan bent down to pick up a handful and then another. He didn't think the grin on his face could get any bigger. "My first snow."

Jeff was grinning too. "Well this is the only way we're going to get snow in Adelaide, even in the middle of winter."

Aidan went over to Jeff and gave him another hug. "This is the best present ever!" And then he thrust the handful of snow down Jeff's back. A second later they were both rolling in the snow, laughing like kids.

~~~

Author's Note  -the three questions were

9 Experienced love at first sight?

33 Forgotten your anniversary?

17 Caught a snowflake on your tongue?