Valentine's Day Miracle (LGBT - Valentine's Day challenge)

Written For Rae Kitano's Valentine's Day challenge

"As of this pay, I've nearly three thousand dollars saved for my new car. Well it won't actually be new, but you know what I mean!" Julian called out from the kitchen. 

"Well done, love," replied Mark from his study. A car would be good, he knew how tired Julian was getting of catching public transport. 

Julian brought a cup of Earl Grey tea over to his lover and placed it carefully on the desk so that it wouldn't get knocked accidently. Mark was reading the news on his PC, the screen especially designed for him, enlarged for his poor vision. He wore glasses with lenses as thick as coke bottle bases but the large print on the screen was much easier for him than squinting over tiny newsprint. He looked up at Julian for a moment, his toffee brown eyes hugely magnified. 

"Listen to this," Mark invited, smiling up at him for a moment before turning back to the screen. "You know how it's Valentine's Day tomorrow? I was just reading about how it all started, some people say it's based on an ancient Roman festival called Lupercalia, which was held from 13-15th February. This is what Plutarch wrote about it. 'At this time many of the noble youths and of the magistrates run up and down through the city naked, for sport and laughter striking those they meet with shaggy thongs. And many women of rank also purposely get in their way, and like children at school present their hands to be struck, believing that the pregnant will thus be helped in delivery and the barren to pregancy.'" 

Julian grinned, "Sounds like fun!"  

Mark frowned, he hadn't finished. "But Wikipedia says there's no evidence to support that claim, instead it's more likely it arose from a legend about St Valentine. Well one of them, there were at least three you know. This one was a priest who lived in Roman times, before Christianity was legal and he was arrested for performing marriage ceremonies for soldiers." 

Julian interrupted, "You're kidding! He married soldiers? Hooray for gay rights!" 

"Not to each other, idiot!" Mark spoke over his shoulder, still intent on the screen. "Claudius wanted him to convert to paganism but he refused so he was sentenced to be executed." 

"That doesn't sound very romantic," Julian protested, teasingly. 

"Wait, this is the valentine bit. He was held prisoner and is reputed to have cured his gaoler's daughter Julia of blindness. The day before he was executed, he wrote her a note, which she was now able to read, and signed it 'from your Valentine' and that's the phrase everyone has used since." 

"Where do the chocolates and roses come in?" 

"Not until quite recently, during the twentieth century, when it all became really commercialised. Before that it was supposed to be hand made greeting cards." 

"All very interesting love, but I'll be late for work if I don't get a move on. I'll see you tonight." He kissed Mark, grabbed his bag and went out to catch the train into town. 

Talking of Valentine's Day, he hadn't got anything for Mark yet. He'd have to drop in at Haighs on his way home and pick up a box of truffles or something.  

Just then the train pulled in at the station and he got on with the small crowd of commuters. He was lucky enough to get a seat and he stared out the window, thinking idly about what Mark had read out to him. Giving someone back their sight was a pretty good miracle. Thinking of sight brought his thoughts round to Mark again. The RSB, Royal Society for the Blind, had been really helpful with the new computer screen.  

Not that Mark was blind of course, at least not with his glasses on. He managed well enough with his glasses most of the time but the new screen was certainly helping with his reading. He was one of the few who couldn't wear contacts. In one way it was a pity he didn't have cataracts, not yet anyway, because then he would qualify for assistance through Medicare to get them removed and get new lenses for his eyes in the process. As it was, if he wanted the surgery he would have to pay for it, their health insurance wasn't high enough to cover voluntary operations. 

The train drew into Adelaide station and Julian got out, following the streaming crowds to the barrier gates. He'd get those chocolates on his way home, otherwise they'd melt.  

The next morning Mark and Julian sat down together for breakfast. Mark placed a large box wrapped in green and purple paper beside Julian's plate. "Happy Valentine's Day love," he said getting up and coming around the table to give Julian a kiss. 

Julian unwrapped the box and smiled. "Haighs' Australian Selection! My favourites, thank you sweetie." 

He pushed a card over to Mark. "Here you go," he watched him anxiously as he took the card out of the envelope. Mark read the message in silence for a moment, then raised shocked eyes to Julian. 

"But Jules, your car!" 

"Forget the car, this is more important, much more important. You can go ahead today and make that appointment, you don't need to wait any longer. I'm only sorry I didn't think of this before, I was being selfish, forgive me?" 

The card fell to the floor as Mark rushed around the table again to take Julian in his arms. It landed face up.  

"Voucher for two eye operations, 

With love, from your Valentine."