Stand Up To Cancer

Taylor's POV

When Maya left, I collapsed on the couch in a heap of sobs.  "It's not fair!" I screamed.  "He didn't deserve this!  He didn't!  He should be here!"  I cried and cried.  After two hours, I sat up and walked to my bedroom.   I pulled a brush through my hair, then noticed the time.  3am.  I slathered on some make-up over my splotchy face, blew my nose, and got in my car.  I didn't care if Louis was asleep or awake.  I struggled to stop crying, but finally gained composure.

When I got there, he was sitting on the porch stroking Meredith.  He picked her up and came over to me.  "Taylor?" he asked.   "What happened?"

Louis' POV

I was sitting on my porch swing petting Meredith when Taylor pulled up. 

"Taylor? What happened?"

She came and sat on my porch swing, rocking it gently.  She took a ragged breath.  "This little boy, Ronan.  He was in the hospital that day I had collapsed.  I was visiting the children's ward and found his mother and him.  He was a big fan," she laughed through some tears.  "He had neuroblastma." (A/N I think that's right.)  She paused, trying to control her sobs.  "Today, when his mother, Maya called, they said he didn't have much time.  And... he's gone."

She looked up at me.  I pulled her into a hug.  Clearly she'd been crying for a while, so I didn't know how she still could, but she was just that special. 

"Tomorrow, er, today, is the Stand Up To Cancer charity drive, and I'm performing a song I wrote for Ronan then. Will you come?"  Her bright blue eyes looked up into mine with just a glimmer of hope. 

"Yes.  I will."

Taylor's POV

I had brought the dress I wanted to wear to the concert, just in case Louis did say yes.  I was too tired to go home, anyways.  He let me stay in his room and he slept on the couch, despite my protests.

When I woke up at about noon, I crept into the living room, holding Meredith, feeling slightly happy.  Just as I expected, Louis was still sleeping.  I gave a "Shh" sign to Mer, and set her on Louis face.

"Ah! What?"  he screeched.

I laughed.  He threw his head back, cracking up.

"Oh, by the way, we have to leave in two hours."

"Two hours?" He screamed.  "Oh honey.  This does not happen over night.  Darling, I need at least six hours to look as I usually do."

"Mmhm." I nodded, containing my laughter. "No wonder everyone makes cracks about you."

"Shut up!  Fine, I'll get ready."

"Oh, I have my straightner.... mind if I use your bathroom?  Normally I leave it wavy but yesterday, and the first time I met Ronan, it was straight, so..."

"Go ahead."

Thirty minutes later I was ready.

~~~~~

When we got to the auditorium, I told my band what we were playing.  I had emailed them the music already, but just wanted to make sure they got the memo.  They did.

"I remember your bare feet down the hallway..."

It was hard to not completely sob during the whole song, especially when I saw Maya in the corner, her eyes shining. 

At the end, I ran off the stage and into Louis' arms.  We walked out as I was wiping my eyes.  (A/N I know Taylor's MOM actually took her home, but it's my story.)

"Taylor?  It will be okay.  I promise."

I nodded, then realized something.  I never rescheduled our date.  "Lou?"

"Yes?"

"For our make-up date..."

"Date?"

"Er.... yeah. I was thinking we could go to the Bluebird Cafe.  Maybe... this Wednesday?"

"Sure, Taylor.  Maybe afterwards we can visit the boys.  They're at their own flats.  Yes, we all have flats in America.  Don't judge!"

I laughed.  Louis was a great guy.