Chapter 7 (part 2)

For all my readers, part two ends in a weird spot, but I haven't posted in almost a year, so I felt I owe to yall to poast as much as I can.

*     *     *     *     *

 Nearly an hour and a half later, Jared and I were finally home.

“Just help me carry all these drinks up and I will come back down and get these clothes later.” I said to him. I only picked up the only bag from my trunk and set it on top of a package of PowerAde. As I picked up the package and turned in the direction of the building, a police car pulling into the parking lot caught my eye, and my heart fell into my stomach.

Without any question, I knew they were here for one reason; Hollie. Brandon gave his statement last night. I wondered what else they could possibly need with him. I made a silent wish that they would just go away and leave Donny alone.

“Hey,” Jared said matching his step with mine. I looked up only to see a quizzical look on his face. “Are you okay Ali-Cat?”

I was at a loss of words. So instead I just nodded my head up and down to falsely signify I was okay.

“Ali, it will be okay. Just ignore them. He persuaded me.

When I looked up at him, his eyes were glaring down at me with a comforting sense. For years, there has always been something in his voice that could calm me down, even when I was so worked up. I told myself that he just knew how to treat a lady. Maybe so, but whatever the reason, I respected him for it. I love Donny with every ounce of my soul but sometimes, he just doesn’t know how to handle some issues that come along with being in a relationship.

“Come on.” He soothed me as I turned and followed him up the stairs. I was a rather long walk up to the apartment. I tried waking quickly to keep up with Jared, making sure not to drop anything I was carrying.

After what seemed like a century we finally reach the third floor of the complex and we silently walked to our front door. As we neared the door, I realized neither of us had a free hand to open the door, so I set all of the items I was carrying down and opened the door just enough so that it would not close on us. I bent back down and picked it back up as Jared waited patiently. He was easily carrying three times more than I was, so I tried to get out of the way quickly.

I swung the door fully open with my foot and stepped through the door. Immediately an all too familiar feeling blew through my hair. I knew he was sitting outside on the balcony because I could feel the breeze in my hair, and I could smell the fresh air. Our little apartment was so light and airy whenever we open the balcony door.

The things I was carrying had long past become heavy so I quickly walked into the kitchen and set them on the counter. Only seconds later Jared peered around the corner and did just the same with his three pallets of PowerAde. I looked at him and then just past him out the door. I could see Brandon sitting on one of the patio chairs with his feet propped up on the railing. He sits out there like that whenever something is on his mind. I didn’t have to ask what is about.

Donny, Jared and I have been friends–family more like—for nearly twenty three years. There is not one thing any of us can do, and not know why. Every little gesture, facial grimace. We know everything there is to know about one another.

I walked past Jared and walked out on to the balcony. Donny was sitting down with a blank stare in his eyes. The three of us know when something is wrong with each other, but we aren’t psychics; we can’t read each other’s minds. I wish I could. I wish I could know what Donny what thinking so I could help out with this. I felt so miserable for him; I could only imagine how he really feels.