Chapter 3

It had now been about an hour or so since Don and I got here. People have been piling into this huge house for about twenty minutes now.

            Don and I were sitting at the bar sipping on some homemade daiquiris. Mine tasted just like a snowball. It was cheesecake-candy apple mix. The only difference from a snowball is that it had that sting of alcohol in it. Then I looked to my right, and I couldn’t believe it. Brandon was gushing down his second watermelon daiquiri. Even though, Don and I had no problem drinking, we preferred sweet drinks over anything else. 

            I looked at him and he looked back at me with a sly face. “Ya know, if you keep drinking you won’t be able to drive us home.” I said tapping his nose with my extended finger.

            He scrunched up his nose and replied, “Yea, sweet cheeks, I know.” His words were slurred, and he was already getting a buzz.

            “Okay,” I paused and stood up. I walked around the bar to the small fridge and grabbed a bottle of water from it. When I sat back in my seat, I took the daiquiri from his hand and replaced it with the bottle of water. “Drink.” I demanded.

            Sometimes I feel like his mother. I make his lunch in the mornings, I get him medicine when he is not feeling well, I wash, fold and put away all of his cloths. I basically do everything for him but wipe his rear end.

            I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it though. It almost feels like I have a child, just minus all the dippers and whining. Don’t get me wrong, I really do want kids one day, but I enjoy the one I have now: a big 23 year old baby.

            As he tried to reach for his drink, I pulled it away from him. “No.” I said when he tried the puppy eyes on me.

            Just then Don’s phone rang out with a text message, so he dug around in his pocket for it, pulled it out and read it. After reading it he shoved it back in his pocket strange look on his face.

            “What did it say?” I asked him. He didn’t even look up, and then began sipping on his water. “Donny, what did it say?” I asked again. And again he didn’t answer. So I decided to reach into his pocket and see for myself.

            As I reached over, and dug in his pocket, he sarcastically choked on his water and playfully said, “Whoa, getting a little frisky there, huh?”

            “Oh shut up ya big buffoon.” I said pulling his phone out of his pocket. Hastily I went through his phone to read his text message. Considering we had the same phones, it made for easier navigation through his phone. The only differences between the two were our backgrounds, and the selection of apps on our phones.

            Bottom line: two for one sales are pretty nice, especially when no contracts are involved.

            As I opened the message, I noted that it was from Jared. I presumed that it was to let us know that he was here. Reading the message, my heart jumped for joy. Hey, we are pulling into the drive way now. So do whatever y’all have left to do, we will be there in just a few seconds.

            I looked up at Brandon with a some-what angered look on my face and then out at the crowd. There were way too many people in here for everyone to casually find a spot to stand without someone getting hurt.

            I knew everyone here would be able to hear me if I announced they were here, so I looked around and tried to find something to stand on. Looking to my left, I found the perfect thing: the bar.