Chapter 26..

Georgiana's P.O.V.

When the first light fell through the windows, I rose reluctantly. For one night I had been able to forget all my worries, and I felt protected when Jasper's arms had been around me, holding me close.

Now that I stood alone again I realized again what the past decades have cost me, what I had missed... now it was too late. This war would take lives, and it would be mine taken - and I would welcome it. I had overstayed my welcome on this world long time ago.

It was a cruelty of fate that I only now, so shortly before the end, would actually feel content, maybe even happy - where had Jasper been all my life? Maybe he could have prevented me from becoming what I was; a mere shadow of my former self.

"You're beautiful."

I turned around to Jasper as he looked at me, a smile on his lips. There was no admiration in his voice - it had been a statement. I admired him for that, and for the first time I actually believed those words.

It had been a long time someone had told me I was beautiful. Of course, most of my lovers had. But I doubted there had been much sincerity in their declarations; it was the superficial beauty they saw, the one they wanted to see.

In truth, I had stopped being truly beautiful long since.

But Jasper seemed to mean it, and I suddenly felt like a young girl, flattered by being courted. It was ridiculous, of course. There would not be anything more than this night between Jasper and me.

Since my clothes were not in a state to be worn again, I opened one of the drawers of the little cupboard (I had a wardrobe in almost every room of this house. Not necessarily planned for events like these, but more serious ones... highly convenient, anyways.) and pulled out a checked blouse and dark blue jeans.

When I turned around again, Jasper was already fully dressed and leaned against my desk, watching my every movement. At the same time, I felt like prey being measured and like the object of desire being cherished. In any way, feeling Jasper's eyes on me made my body prickle.

I took a look at the door, then listened for sounds upstairs - and then I slowly stepped towards Jasper. When I was only inches away, he closed his arms around me and pulled my body to his, kissing me lovingly. I readily responded. Just this one last kiss.

I had just time to break away before Edward entered, Alice at his side. Both had a mischievous grin on their faces.

"You two don't need to look so innocent."

I was just about to protest when Antoinette entered, and I knew better than argue about this topic now. "Good morning, mon chéres." She beamed and scuttled over. "You look much better today, Georgeeena, what happened?"

I brushed back a strand of hair behind my ear and said nothing. Antoinette would start talking in precisely two seconds whether I replied or not.

"I just wanted to ask about the further proceedings?"

"What? No suggestions of whom I should marry?" I remarked sharply.

"Keep your sharp tongue to yourself, Georgeeena." She waved her hand at me impatiently. "Fill me in on the actual standing of the plans instead."

"We'll get to Forks now. There's nothing left to be done here, and the Volturi will arrive there. When they do, we wait and see whether or not they withdraw when they see that Renesmee is not a vampire child - if they do, they're unlikely to ever return. If they don't...well, that's when we come in."

I never thought that it would come to a great fight involving everybody - I rather believed that Leo's so described "bullets" would be played off against each other, the winner deciding the battle.