Chapter 3..

Within minutes, I got dressed. I put on the linen dress again, as I found it quite comfortable, but I didn't bother about the petticoat now. My heels clattered loudly on the steps as I then hurried down the stairs, bursting into the kitchen.

"Sarah?"

"Oh, Miss Ellwood..." The black woman, who was a slave, but whom I considered a friend, came running in. "Harold just brought the news! The Confederates and the Unions are battling - right here, in Barbourville! Oh, my lady, it will only be moments until they reach here...!"

Calm, I told myself, you have to be calm. You are a general's daughter, you can handle this.

"If they ever reach here." Harold, Sarah's husband, entered the kitchen now, too. "I think that by ten o'clock the latest, they have shot each other down to the last man."

I flinched at the thought that Jasper Whitlock could be among them... But I had other matters to focus on now. My father was not here to take care of the matters, neither was my brother, and my older sister was of no use.

"Alright. We will do nothing."

"Nothing? But, my lady -"

"We are civilians, and I doubt that their intention is to murder innocent people." I said, with the conviction only a sheltered daughter could muster, one who knew nothing of the cruel reality of war. Luckily, Sarah did. "Miss Ellwood, this is a war. The soldiers do not care about what is ethically wrong, they are not normal men anymore. As soon as they hold a weapon in their hand, they change. Consider that you are living in a rich household, with a villa to be robbed empty. Furthermore, you are an important general's daughter... So pray that the Union fighters get here before the others do."

Only now did I see the horrid truth: America was at war. With herself. A Civil War.

"This can't be happening!" I fell onto the chair, running a hand through my lose auburn hair. I had to think what to do now... Would I count on the Union to be here first, to win over the Confederates? No. If only one man was like Jasper Whitlock, then there was no chance they would lose. So what to do then?

"We stay." I said firmly. Running away would be of no use, and the walls around this villa were quite strong. Further I doubted that the army would approach a city... and I considered us part of the town, even though we were at least two miles away from it.

Sarah was just about to protest - something she only dared when talking to me, since she knew I would not punish her - when Jack, the stableman's young son, came running in. "Daddy said the battle's over!"

Thomas, the stableman, entered behind his son, faltering and stooping when he saw me. "Miss Ellwood."

"Good morning, Mr Warwick." I nodded, not forgetting my education even in situations like these. "Please, tell us what you know."

"Both forces had gone as far as the forest by the time the battle was considered lost - for both sides. The Confederates have retreated, but some got trapped in the woods. God knows where they are."

I groaned. Why did Father have to leave? "Alright. Thank you, Mr Warwick. I would advise you all to stay on the estate, and do not open the gates. Maybe we will stay untouched. Now, Sarah, would you mind making us all a cup of tea?"

I understand that the picture of the mistress sitting at the same table as her servants would be an unusual, but I much preferred their presence to those of the high society. The latter never had anything interesting to tell.

After a good breakfast, I stood up and declared I would now go and wake my sisters. They slept unusually late, and even though they might not be my level, I enjoyed their company. I would have to inform them about the latest developments, too.