Chapter Eleven

Elizabeth had finally given up the lyrics to her song.

The three of us danced around the fire, singing and laughing. I had never been so happy.

I was also drunk. I'd never been drunk before; it was a nice feeling, as if I were floating.

We're Devils and black sheep,

We're really bad eggs,

Drink up, me'harties, yoho!

Yoho, yoho, a pirate's life for me!

"I love this song!" Jack informed us happily. We linked arms and spun around, laughing.

"Really, bad eggs!" Jack grinned, the frowned. "Whoa..." He went slightly cross-eyed. He pulled me down to the ground with him as he toppled over. I glimpsed Elizabeth sitting down, by the water, sort of expectantly.

"When I get the Pearl back," Jack stated happily, "I'll teach it to the whole crew! And we'll sing it all the time!"

I laughed and my head spun, I was so lost in his scent, and the rum, and the blunt joy. "And you shall be the most positively fearsome pirate in the Caribbean!"

He grinned and swayed. "Not just the Caribbean, love. They entire ocean. The entire world!"

He motioned with his hands. When he spoke again, his voice was different. "That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just the keel and the rudder and the sails, that's what a ship needs." His deep brown eyes took on a faraway look. "What a ship is, what the Black Pearl really is, is freedom." His voice roped me in; I was enthralled in the way his hands painted his words into the air.

"Jack," I said, and snuggled into his chest. "Jack, I really am sorry for you to be trapped here again. It must be terrible."

Jack paused. "Oh, yes." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I sank into his side. "But the company is infinitely better than last time." He smiled softly, and then nuzzled his nose in my hair. "Scenery has definitely improved."

I gazed at him in the fire light, mesmerized by his eyes, and giggled. "You know what?" I laughed. "I think I need more rum."

Jack grinned at me. "I know exactly what you mean, love."

I held up my bottle. "To freedom!"

He leaned back and gazed at my bottle. "To the Black Pearl," He said, smiling knowingly.

I clinked my bottle to his and took a sip. Jack, however, put his to his lips and downed the whole thing. His arm fell from around me as he passed out on the sand.

I was a little disappointed at his falling asleep, I enjoyed his company, but I laid down beside him and rested my ear on his chest, listening to his heart. I closed my eyes and slid into sleep, completely content with everything.

When I awoke, it was still dark. Jack had an arm around me and I was huddled into his chest, listening to his even breathing.

I sat up slowly and removed his arm, more than a little embarrassed by the turn of events. Stupid, bloody rum. I had a headache.

"Oh, you're awake." Elizabeth said.

I turned somewhat groggily. She was sitting next to me and Jack, her rum in hand, watching us with a sort of amusement.

I flushed and crawled over to her. "Hi." I whispered. "I remember everything and I feel stupid."

She smiled and took a sip. I realized she had only drank half of her drink, while I'm sure I had at least two. Probably more. Stupid rum. "Hello, and you did act rather idiotic."