Chapter Two

I ran down to the harbor after them, picking my dress up and taking another glance at the water every few seconds.

Suddenly, the ground trembled beneath my feet. I stumbled, shook my head, and then continued on. The air turned considerably colder.

The man resurfaced with Elizabeth just as I arrived at the docks. He had her over his shoulder, and was attempting to scale the dock. Two Navy soldiers, Murtogg and Mullroy, I believe, helped him pull the limp woman up and out of the water. He had cut her dress off, I noted. It must've been weighing the two down.

"Not breathing!" Mullroy shouted frantically.

"Move," The man bumped him to the side and knelt over Elizabeth. He took out a pocketknife and promptly sliced the knot at the top off her corset.

Elizabeth coughed and rolled over, wheezing, spitting out saltwater.

Mullroy gazed at Elizabeth's savior admiringly. "Never would've thought of that."

"Clearly," he responded, pushing his dreadlocks out of his face, "You've never been to Singapore." He sat back and I got a good look at him.

He was handsome; his dreads were held back with a crimson bandanna, and his sharp, chocolate colored eyes were outlined in black. Beads were woven into his hair, and his clothes were stained, as if they got too much use.

He looked like a pirate. I pushed the thought aside; I didn't want to get ahead of myself.

"Where did you get that?" He asked her warily, holding up a skull and crossbones medallion that was lying on Elizabeth's chest. I'd never seen her wear it before, but it was golden and sparkled menacingly in the light.

"On your feet." Someone's deep tones commanded, and a shiny blade was pointed at the man's neck. I followed the sword until I reached the Commodore's arm.

Elizabeth's father helped her up and draped a blanket over her shoulders, casting a questioning glance at Murtogg, who was holding the corset. He hurriedly gestured at the stranger, looking innocent.

"Shoot him," Governor Swann said, his face furious at the man taking such liberties with his daughter.

The man stood up slowly, his sharp eyes on the blade, winking at him under the Caribbean sun.

"Father, Commodore," Elizabeth asked with authority, "Do you really intend to kill my rescuer?"

Norrington glared at Elizabeth, but ordered his men to lower their weapons. The man gave her a slight oriental bow. "I believe thanks are in order." Norrington said, and held out his hand to Elizabeth's rescuer.

He considered the hand for a moment, hesitating as if it carried some sort of illness, and then took the Commodore's hand.

Norrington jerked him forward and pushed up his sleeve, looking furious as the large P brand was uncovered. "Pirate?" The newly-revealed pirate winced.

I was silently thrilled. Pirate? Immediately my head was filled with all sorts of questions to ask him, but I was interrupted by the Governor.

"Hang him." He said simply, holding his daughter close.

The pirate turned his gaze on him, looking surprised and offended. Norrington yanked his shirt-sleeve up higher, revealing a tattoo depicting a sparrow, flying into a sunset, and glanced at the pirate. "Well, well," He sneered. "Jack Sparrow."

My eyes widened. Jack Sparrow? He was one of my favorite pirate legends, with all of his grand escapades and adventures. I didn't believe half of them, but the thought was interesting.