Chapter Seven

I stood up in the crow's nest, and squinted at the sky. There was a large and ominous gray cloud forming off a bit to starboard.

I knew what my job was; I was to relay this news to the mates below me. Jack had reluctantly said I could take shifts up here after I had yelled at him about just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't work! I can be pretty and help at the same time! I was more than a little satisfied at my victory.

I leaned down and screamed, "We've some bad weather coming our way!"

"Aye, Adeena!" Someone yelled back. I thought it was Gibbs, but but I wasn't sure. I could hope that the news would somehow get relayed to Jack.

"Adeena, come below!" Another yelled. I gave the horizon one more glance and then began my decent.

I leapt down the last few feet and stared around. Jack was at the helm with Cotton, studying his compass and giving the latter instructions.

The air was already damp and smelling of rain and thunder. I breathed in slowly; I loved how the rain smelled.

Anamaria appeared next to me and jerked her thumb at Jack. "He wants to see you," She said, and gave me a small smile.

I nodded and thanked her, then trotted up to Jack. He was so engrossed in the spinning dial that I had to say his name three times; Cotton could hardly say anything, though his parrot squawked a few times.

"What?" Jack muttered irritably. He glanced up and saw it was me, then gave a tight smile. "I want you to barricade yourself in my cabin."

My jaw dropped. "Are you serious?"

He winced and his grin dropped off his face. "Deadly, serious. Go. Now."

I stamped my foot and spat, "Why?"

He took a deep breath. "Because you've never been in a swell like that one, love. I can tell it's gonna be a big one--I just can, ok?--and I don't need you getting tossed overboard. Savvy?"

I opened my mouth to protest again, but he shook his head and swooped me up over his shoulder.

"Jack-Sparrow-you-put-me-down-you--" I yelled a torrent of curses in a mixture of Portuguese and Bulgarian, half hoping he knew those two languages, and half hoping he didn't.

Jack carried me into his room, oblivious to me beating his back with my fists, and dropped me roughly on his floor. I came up spitting mad and seethed at him.

"I'm locking the door." He informed me. "And please don't break it down, Anamaria would bloody kill me. It'll be hers after this, anyhow. You may," He swept his arms around, "Use the bed and the rum and the head (A.N. In this time period, the 'toilet' on a ship could be referred to as 'the head'.) but if you touch my charts I will make sure you are keelhauled, savvy? If you don't know what keelhauling is, by all means ask someone. Are we clear? Good."

He turned and hurried out the door. I stopped staring at him and drew my sword.

"Sparrow! You bastard--ya!" I threw my sword at the door and it lodged itself in the wood. I heard a noise from outside that may have been a cuss, but no one unlocked the door and let me out.

I sighed loudly and angrily, then plopped down onto the ground and pouted for a bit, my elbows on my knees.

When I ran out of things I would do to Jack next time I saw him, I stood, and began pacing, wondering what I should do. Just as I was about to take up his offer on the rum, the ship trembled, and rain began pelting the deck above the Jack's cabin. I pitied the sailors out in the weather but still wished to be outside, feeling the rain on my face and timing my steps to the swell of the ship.

I fell onto Jack's bed as the floor pitched and I sat up, realizing why Jack hadn't wanted me out there. He was right, I had to grudgingly admit, that I wouldn't stand a chance against the storm that was battering the Interceptor. I  didn't know, frankly, how the Interceptor was taking it.

I fell backward into the sheets and sighed. I was exhausted. I hadn't gotten any sleep the previous night, thanks to Jack. He had said I could use the bed...

I gave up and slid under the covers after undoing a few buttons on my shirt and slipping off my boots. I could just catch a whiff of Jack's scent; sea and rum and something citrusy, like oranges. My breathing evened out and I slipped into a dreamless sleep.

I was awoken by someone's soft swearing. I opened my eyes a slit and swept the room. I felt my heart stop. Jack was holding his foot and had one hand against the wall. He let his door swing shut with a thud and cautiously placed his foot back on the ground.

He was soaking wet; there were little splash noises as rain dripped off his coat and dreadlocks onto the floor. He limped wearily across the floor, I supposed he had stubbed his toe, toward his desk. I watched warily as he dropped his compass, pistol, and cutlass onto his piles of maps and charts. He pulled off his coat and laid it out on the ground to dry it, then unbuttoned his waistcoat, then began on his shirt.

I closed my eyes tight, finally registering that he was undressing, and groggily rolled over, my insides doing the conga. I must've made some sort of noise, because Jack froze.

He stared at me for a moment, then whispered, "Adeena, I know you're awake. Turn over."

I made a muffled noise and obeyed. I heard some rustling noises, and then Jack spoke again, albeit quietly. "You can look."

I turned again, I always slept on my left side, and opened my eyes all the way. Jack had changed into dry breeches; he moved toward the bed and crawled in beside me.

"Do you mind, love?" He asked, and I shook my head, my eyelids drooping. I'm sure he could hear my heart beating like mad.

He settled in and blew out through his nose. "Long night, mm?" I murmured.

He nodded and opened his eyes. I could just make out his features. "You could say that. Lots of cold. Lots of rain."

I ached to be close to him. "I should be glad I was in here."

He chuckled. "I was wishing I had locked myself in here with you, love."

He met my eyes with a hungry sort of look that turned me to jelly. My breath caught.

I hesitated before scooting forward, until I was cradled against his chest. His breathing quickened and I let him put his arms around me. "I've never slept in a man's bed," I whispered.

He laughed softly, his chest rising and falling beneath my ear. "There's always a first."

I sighed, completely and totally happy, and felt myself sliding back into sleep.

"You're beautiful, you know that?" He said, so quietly I almost didn't hear him.

I took a sharp breath. "I've never been told that."

He nuzzled his nose against my hair. "Always a first time..."

********************************

A.N. Don't worry, this isn't a fanfic where they fall in love within minutes. I just decided to give Jack and Adeena a moment. Nothing big happens, etc.

Anyhow, Lots of Love! Till next author's note!