Alan Ashby - Half An Hour

"Thea, can I have that review on my desk for tomorrow morning?" My boss asked, walking briskly past my desk.

"You can have it now if you like?" I said, standing up. Kate stopped, waiting as I shuffled through the paper on my own desk, looking for the review. I smiled triumphantly when I found it and handed it to her. "Here you go, the review for Of Mice & Men."

"I'm impressed, you're working pretty hard here, aren't you?"

"I really am, I love this job." I smiled, gathering all my stuff and depositing them in my bag.

"Good. Keep it up." I smiled and thanked her, knowing that was as close to a compliment as I would get from Kate. Looking at the clock on the wall I saw it was half six 

"Shit," I muttered, rushing out of the office and rushing down the street into the bar. I ran up to the usual booth and sat down next to my best friend, out of breath.

"Nice of you to show up," Jack muttered, swirling the ice cubes around his empty glass. "You're a half hour late!"

"I know, I'm sorry. I just got caught up finishing the review and I lost track of time," I said, shrugging my jacket off. "But I'm here now." 

Jack nodded and muttered something and I sighed, standing up, "What drink do you want? My treat." He immediately perked up and smiled at me.

"Jack and coke, please." I nodded and made a beeline to the bar, waiting to be served. I smiled as I saw the familiar face of Sierra pop infront of me, smiling widely.

"Hey, hun, what'll it be?"

"Two Jack and cokes, Sierra."

"Ooh, rough day?" She smirked.

"Cheeky bitch," I said sarcastically, making her laugh. "No, Jack's in the booth."

"I'm only messing with you," Sierra pushed the drinks over the counter and I handed her the money. "Have a good night."

"Thanks, you too!" I called, backing away with the drinks in my hand. I placed the drinks on the table and sat down next to Jack again, letting out a large sigh.

"What's up?" Jack asked, sipping his drink.

"Just really tired, I've been working on the review all day and the gig was last night, so I'm still pretty tired after that."

"Who were you reviewing again?"

"Some band called Of Mice & Men. With the symbol, not the word."

"Were they any good?"

"Yeah, I guess." I said. "What have you done today?"

"Looking for jobs. I hate my fucking job." Jack sighed, sinking down in his seat.

"That bad?" I asked, leaning my head on his shoulder. I felt him nod and he rested his head on top of mine. 

"Yeah, how would you like to work in a hardwar store? I don't what anything is!" I laughed at my best friend, making him elbow me lightly. "It's not funny, Thea."

"No, I know but, come on - you working at a hardware store? You're the most feminine person I know."

"And don't you forget it." I laughed and sat up, talking to Jack as the bar started to fill up. It always got like this on fridays. We'd come here everynight after work and just sit together, talking about everything and nothing. But don't get me wrong - Jack and I were nowhere near together. His mum married my dad when we were kids and we'd been inseperable since, even when they split up we still demanded to see each other.