Max Helyer - Max, My Ex

"Hot guy coming your way," Tess, my best friend and co worker, said as she walked past me. We worked in HMV and had done for the past five years. We both started work on the same day and we'd been best friends ever since. She was always trying to set me up with guys, anyone she saw. She'd been with her boyfriend since she was fourteen and we were both twenty three now. I guess she just didn't like seeing me lonely.

My first and only real, 'serious' relationship was with a guy that went to my school, Max Heyler, but ended a few years ago. We fought constantly and both decided it just wasn't worth it. He was always talking about starting a band but I never followed up on him after we broke up. I guess it was just too painful. I'd only just got over him fully about six months ago. I still wonder sometimes, what it would have been like if we'd have stayed together. Would things have worked out? Would I even know Tess?

I turned around to see this 'hot guy' and for once, Tess was telling the truth. He really was hot. His short brown hair was wild but organised, making his steely blue eyes stand out from a mile away. He was wearing black skinny jeans and a grey tee that had 'vibes' written on the front in red.

"Excuse me," He said in a thick Surrey accent, smiling warmly at me.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I asked, putting down the stack of cds I was putting on the racks.

"I was just wondering if you have a cd in stock. Amaryllis, by Shinedown?"

"I'll just go check the system for you," I smiled walking past him. I could help but feel butterflies when my bare arm brushed his, tingles left on my skin. I walked up to Tess and logged onto the computer next to her, searching the name of the band.

"Told you he was hot." Tess said triumphantly, looking in the direction of where he was still stood. "And now he's looking at you." I followed Tess's eyes and saw him looking at me. He flashed a brilliant smile then went back to looking at his phone. I smiled at Tess, laughing as she winked at me.

"Come on! You havn't had a serious relationship since I met you and that was five years ago!" She said.

"Yeah, but I still wasn't over Max." I sighed.

"You know, I'm dying to meet this Max guy. I want to know the guy that my best friend couldn't get over for five years." Tess smiled, looking thoughtfully at the sky. "But seriously, you're young. You're single. You're fucking hot! Take it from me, any guy would be lucky to have you."

"But I don't know how to ask a guy out!" I whined. "You know what I'm like. I'll start to stutter then embaras myself then walk away. I've given up."

"No, don't think like that. Listen, that guy over there keeps looking at you, so I suggest you go over and introduce yourself. Ask him out for a drink. Do something. Okay?"

"I don't know, Tess. What if-"

"No, no 'what if's. You get out there and you ask him out." Tess demanded, pushing me away from the tills. "Why are you afraid of finding love? Of falling in love?"

"Because everything that falls gets broken." I muttered, looking at the ground. Tess smiled sadly and pulled me into a hug.

"If you fall I'll catch you, pinky swear." I smield and linked my pinky with hers, walking towards the guy that was now stood waiting for me.

"Hi, sorry but I'm afraid the album you wanted isn't in stock right now. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"There is, actually. Do you think you could help me find some good music?" He asked. I didn't answer, shocked that he wanted me to help. "It's just, me and my band are going on tour in a few days and I need some new music to keep me occupied."