Ben Bruce - Walk With Me

"Paula, I need you to work late tonight." My boss, Mark, said as he walked out of the back room. "There's a gig on around the corner so the pub will be heaving tonight."

 "Mark, are you kidding?" I asked.

"Please, Paula. Jen can't work tonight so we're the only staff in." Mark whined, looking at me with puppy eyes. I sighed and nodded, laughing slightly when he hugged me. "Thank you! Why are you wearing a hoodie? It's boiling in here." I simply laughed and walked away, not wanting to asnwer his question. The truth was, the only shirt I could find was a vest top, and there was now way I was only wearing a vest top and some skinnies. No way.

"Who's this band that's playing?" I shouted across the pub as I wiped down tables ready for opening. I worked in a pub in York, not amazing money but it was a job. Anyway, I loved my job.

"They're called Asking Alexandria, from around here or something. You heard of them?" Mark asked, passing me the disinfectant spray. 

"Yeah, I've heard a few of their songs, they're pretty good." I said, checking the time. "Do you want me to open the doors now?"

"Yeah, might as well. Only a few minutes to five anyway." I nodded and opened the doors, moving out of the way of the flow of people. We were always busy, but since we were right next to a big music venue we always got more customers when a gig was on. Usually people looking to get drunk before the show.

"Excuse me!" I shouted, trying to break my way through the sea of bodies. I felt a hand slap against my butt and I paused, fighting the urge to turn around and upper cut whoever touched me. I managed to resist and continued walking towards the bar, walking straight to Mark. "God, I hate some people."

"What happened?"

"Some guy slapped my ass. That's the seventh time in three days that's happened." I sighed, serving some girl that was already drunk. Her dress was ripped and she was practically hanging out of it. She thanked me in a slurred voice and walked away to a group of girls who looked exactly the same. "I swear, men are pigs."

"Hey, that's not fair! I'm a man." Mark huffed, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Hey, if you want, I won't object if you hit them in the face."

I laughed and walked to the other end of the bar to serve more customers, "Trust me Mark, that day isn't far away!" The rest of the night continued pretty uneventfully, the pub cleared out a little when it got to about six. Probably people going to the gig. 

"That guys over there keeps looking at you," Mark said as he leant on the bar next to me. It was about half ten by then and things had calmed down. I followed Marks finger and saw that sure enough, a pretty hot guy was looking at me. He looked away, started talking to his friends and looked my way again.

"Fuck, it's so hot." I mumbled, fanning myself with my hands.

"Take your jumper off then." Mark said, pinching the arm of my big hoodie. "Why are you wearing that, anyway?"

"I only had a vest top to wear tonight." I said, looking at the ground.

"Go on, be brave," Mark said nudging my shoulder. He winked, nodding his head in the direction of the guy that was looking at me. "You might even get a date out of it." I rolled my eyes as I wandered off into the staff room and took my hoodie off, putting it in my locker with my bag. I stood infront of the mirror and looked at what I was wearing. My skinny jeans hugged my legs but my vest top looked hideous. It was plain black and made me look huge! I sighed and walked out anyway, dragging my feet the whole way.

"Woah, Paula," Mark said, staring me up and down. "Why do you always wear baggy clothes? You look great!" I shook my head and felt my cheeks burn crimson as Mark took my hand and spun me around.