In The Days After

His wrists stung and it was nothing he could heal.

Pain comes in a thousand variations but never had he felt anything as bad as this. It was throbbing, but inconsistent, without a rhythm, so it was unexpected. It burned hot one second and then his fingers were icy numb.

Pain was easy to focus on; easy, not enjoyable. At the moment all he could think about was the agony and beg for whatever God or Angel was out there to heal him.

It had been exactly a week since Edom and this is the fate Magnus succumbed to every night when he had depleted himself magic for his pain-relieving spells and there was no work to do. It seemed to be unhealable, but Magnus really hadn't tried.

The apartment had been lonely when Alec was gone. But it was worse now that he was back, but too busy to be there.

Alec had been a toy that belonged to someone else. Now he was back in Magnus' possession, but the same annoying brat was still playing with him. He'd always share Alec with the Nephilim but tonight he was in greater need of the boy, of that he was certain.

Outside, it was raining. Drops of water clung to the large glass windows overlooking the living. The light of the city caught in them and was cast against the walls. Steady raindrops were the perfect soundtrack for inducing drowsiness.

The heaviness of sleep was starting to numb the pain when he heard footsteps in the hallway.

Magnus opened his eyes, the crack of light aimed directly at his eyes. Even as he was blinded, he could make out a familiar silhouette.

"You were sleeping-- Sorry," Alec whispered.

"You're fine," Magnus croaked.

Alec hesitated momentarily before slipping into the room.

The room was pitch black, just the way Magnus liked it.

There was a thud of a heavy bag hitting the floor then the mattress sunk in, almost pulling Magnus to where Alec had sat on the edge.

He wanted to go to Alec but movement hurt. Alec would find him in the dark eventually.

"What are you doing?" Magnus asked.

"At the moment, taking off my shoes," Alec said, softly.

"Are you staying the night?"

Part of Magnus dreaded Alec saying "yes." Showing pain wasn't one of the things Magnus enjoyed. But how could you go to hell with someone and not come back with a little more trust in one another.

"I don't know."

A boot hit the carpeted ground.

"Where are you?" Alec whispered. Magnus wanted to raise his hand, to find Alec in dark and pull him closer.

"I'm exhausted," Magnus admitted. "I can't--"

"It's fine," Alec said. "We just got back to New York an hour ago. I just couldn't stand to be around the Institute."

Cold, calloused fingers fell against Magnus' face.

"Will you stay here tonight? Magnus asked. The little gesture was so comforting already.

"Sure," Alec said. Magnus could hear the shy little smile in his voice. He could hear the blush in his cheeks. He could see the shine in his blue eyes.

A random stab of pain broke through Magnus' reverie, causing him to gasp.

Alec's hand drew away.

"Are you okay?"

"It's just my wrists--"

Alec's hand found his shoulder, running down his arm until he his Magnus' forearm, stopping there.