Last Days

It's a terribly harsh reality.

And it's hard to stomach the idea that someday, we will cease to exist on this plane of existence.

All of us.

No one is spared from death.

Not even the immortal.

Everyone must go in the end. But "the end" is defined by how long you manage to escape Death's hand.

Some described Death as being kind and gentle, bringing a solace life never could. Others said he was rude, taking what wasn't his to take; coming before his time.

Your opinions are irrelevant, no matter what you believe.

Because as Magnus Bane stood high above New York, staring out at the millions of lights shining back at him, he knew the truth: Death was indifferent.

..........

36 hours earlier. . .

Alec sniffed the drink that had been placed in front of him by the bartender.

Magnus picked it up for him and forced it in his hand.

"Trying drinking it, dear," Magnus said. Alec rolled his eyes.

"I don't enjoy alcohol," Alec said. "It dulls my senses."

"Then don't drink it," Magnus said, dismissively. His eyes scanned the massive club, but all he could see were bright flashing strobe lights intermixed with dancing red lazers.

"You know, we should probably be trying to act natural," Alec advised.

"Natural?" Magnus raised an eyebrow. "Dear, you're the only one in the room with your original hair color."

It was only a slight exaggeration. Most of the hair in the room was dyed some shade of neon.

"Not to mention the piercings," Magnus said.

"Do you have--"

"No," Magnus said quickly.

"I'd know," Alec said quietly with a smirk.

"Fine," Magnus said, tersely. "Let's go act natural."

He pulled Alec over to a table and picked up the little cardboard bulletin, listing the club's events for the night.

Alec looked around. The dance floor was now across the room but he could still hear the music loud enough.

"'Dance contest,'" Magnus read.

"No."

"Karaoke?" Magnus glanced up with a smile.

"No," Alec said again. He leaned across the table. "Where is this guy, Magnus?"

"I wish I knew," Magnus said, moving closer as well. His face was only inches from Alec's. "I don't particularly like these types of clubs. Too loud."

"Your parties aren't much quieter--"

"My parties have class," Magnus said, with disdain for the idea that his parties were anything like this place.

Alec crossed the small distance and kissed Magnus.

Magnus stopped him before they got carried away.

"We're here for business," Magnus said, but his mind was still heavy with serotonin.

"Sure," Alec said, suggestively.

Before Magnus could respond, a brawl broke out across the club.