Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"Henry, my friend," The king greeted his longtime pal by giving him a chalice of wine and grinning at him. "Today is an excellent day."

Henry took the chalice from his friend and tried his best to keep his expression impassive. He knew exactly where the conversation was going to go. The king had sent for Henry minutes after the sun had risen. He hadn't slept much the night before, considering he knew what Elizabeth and the king would be up to. Needless to say, since he spent the night worrying about his childhood friend, he was exhausted, and didn't want the king to be the first person he saw for the day.

But,he did as told, and left the comfort of his warm bed so that he could listen to the king brag about where he had been only minutes before. Henry had found the king sitting in his bedchamber,dressed in an extravagant fur robe, his face housed with a large grin.

"How so," Henry replied with a raised eyebrow.

The king took a drink of wine before answering, believing that the suspense was bothering the duke. Henry sat on the edge of his chair and looked at the king expectantly, wishing that the conversation would be over quickly.

"I visited Lady Elizabeth's chambers last night."

Although Henry already knew that it occurred, disgust rushed through his body, and he clenched his hand tighter around the golden chalice in his hand. He grimaced, which the king mistook for a grin. Owen nodded once, and a proud smirk filled his face.

"I fucked her, Henry. I was patient, and God gave me what I wanted most."

Henry knew that what the king wanted most was a son, not a woman, and God didn't give Owen what he wanted. Instead, the king had tried to take it without permission, which had scared Elizabeth, which then forced her to do what the king wanted in order to save her mission and her life. But, of course, the king was always right, and Henry couldn't argue with him. He had to keep a smile on his face and act impressed.

"And," Henry prodded, knowing that he'd immediately regret it.

The king leaned forward in his chair, then rested his elbows on his knees to support his upper body. He let out a gust of air, then ran a hand through his golden hair. He looked up at his friend, his expression making him look like a boy who had just lost his virginity, instead of the sex-crazed man that he was.

He looks ridiculous.

"You of all people know that I've been with my fair share of women in my life."

Henry nodded.

"It is simply too difficult to keep them away," The king said with a laugh. "I wouldn't say that Elizabeth was the best women I've ever been with, but she was certainly a surprise."

The king leaned back in his chair, then tilted his head back in order to down the remaining wine in his chalice. He sighed with satisfaction,then met the gaze of his friend, who was looking tired and haggard.

"The best part is that for being a virgin, she certainly seemed to enjoy herself. She didn't seem too frightened after I worked my magic," The king said cheekily.

He let out a sudden bark of laughter, which startled the exhausted Henry. Seeing his friend's reaction, the king only laughed harder.

"D'you think you'll keep seeing her," Henry asked loudly in order to be heard over the king's laughter.

The king's laughter subsided, and he took a few breaths to steady his breathing once more. He raised a hand up to his chin and rubbed his beard, while he thought about what he'd do next. Finally, he nodded.