Chapter Six

Chapter Six

“Do you know what truly bothers me?” Lady Jane Westfeld asked Elizabeth.

The two had just finished tidying up the queen's presence chamber and were now sitting down on the stools that surrounded Queen Elinor's empty throne while the monarch napped.

Elizabeth stopped twisting the sapphire ring on her finger and looked up at her friend, glad to have some conversation to break the silence. Jane took that as her cue to continue speaking.

“I hate that I'm a woman,” She said with a grimace. “We have absolutely no control over our lives and all of us are the same. Even the queen is the same as us.”

Elizabeth looked towards the closed door of the queen's bedchamber, then looked back at the lady who sat next to her.

“We're all forced to marry someone we don't love. We have no say over many of our choices. We have to answer to our brothers and fathers. We're treated as if we don't matter. We're only on earth to please men and to give them heirs.”

Elizabeth was silent for a few moments, as she tried to mull over what Jane was saying. She stood from her place and poured the two of them a cup of wine, handed one to Jane, then sat back down.

“Your life can be more meaningful if you play your cards correctly,” Elizabeth finally spoke, which caused her friend to look at her quizzically.

“How so?”

Elizabeth took a drink of the wine before replying. The usually sweet liquid had a bit of a bite to it, thanks to the spices that had been added to the dark liquid. She wasn't fond of the taste.

“You see the queen. She's dutiful to her husband and does as he expects her to. Doing so allowed her daughters to return to court for a time, no?”

Jane was silent as she stared into her wine cup, a frown of concentration on her face.

“And although you're right on a few things, there are ways to make things in your favor. Take marriage for an example. Seeing as you're one of the queen's maids of honor and your family is very important here at court, you're sure to make a good marriage. There won't likely be much love in the match, but he'll have plenty of money and will spoil you and leave you be once you have a son. He'll go and bed his whore and you'll be free to do the same with whomever you choose.”

Jane blushed, but giggled.

“When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so bad!”

Elizabeth smiled then took another large drink of her wine.

“I occasionally have some decent advice to give. What brought up these thoughts anyway?”

Jane stood from her stool and grabbed the tankard of wine, then came back and refilled both hers and Elizabeth's cups.

“My father only returned to court to help set up a match for me,” She replied glumly.

“With who?”

Jane shook her head. “I'm not sure yet. Father told me that he has many options, but he won't tell me who.”

“No matter,” Elizabeth started as she smiled at her friend. “Just remember what I said today. Besides, you're intelligent and you're beautiful. You already have two weapons to use against your new husband.”

Jane smiled and finished off the rest of her drink, then reached over to grab the tankard of wine.

“You ladies really should be careful when it comes to drinking wine,” A voice said from behind them.