Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

With her chin in her hand, and her nose buried in a book, Elizabeth sat in the sitting room of the cottage, a slight frown on her face as she read. The skirts of her burgundy gown were splayed across the chair that she sat in, and took up most of the room on the piece of furniture. She wore a fur mantle over her shoulders, which helped to keep her warm, along with the large fire that roared in front of her. She had her feet extended towards the fire, the soles of her feet warmed through her thin slippers.

Elizabeth's French hood was carelessly tossed aside somewhere on the floor, and her hair was loose and free from all of the pins that usually kept it out of her face. She used her finger to guide her through the words on the pages as she read although it was hard to read by candlelight, since the room was growing increasingly darker as the sun set. Her mind was filled with the images of the knight dressed in flawless, gleaming armor, and the damsel who allowed herself to be rescued by a man who appeared to have nearly no experience with saving people.

Jane, the maid, busied herself around the room, making sure that the fire was tended to, as well as refilling Elizabeth's cup of ale whenever necessary. Elizabeth looked up from her book and at Jane.

"Do you think it odd that a knight would have gleaming armor? If he was any good at his job, wouldn't his armor be battered and dented?"

Jane leaned over and picked the headpiece up off of the ground, grimacing as she did so, because of the pain in her back. She seemed to think for a moment, then nodded.

"I would agree, my lady."

"And these books make the damsels seem incredibly unintelligent. If I were locked in a tower for years, I would like to believe that I'd be wary of whom I let rescue me. I wouldn't want just anyone to take me away."

Jane was quiet for a few seconds, debating on whether or not to ask the question that she wanted to. She gathered the courage and looked at Elizabeth, while toying with the hood in her hands.

"If you were a damsel locked in a tower, who would you want to rescue you?"

"I would rescue myself," She replied immediately, with a serious expression on her face.

"Hmm..." Jane thought out loud. "That's quite fitting, I'd say. If I needed saving, I would like someone as brave as the Duke of Reddon to rescue me. He seems to be kind, does he not? I'm sure his armor would be battered." Jane's eyes had a far off look in them, and Elizabeth couldn't help but smile at the woman in front of her.

Elizabeth was about to agree with her friend, when she heard the duke's voice above them.

"I'm flattered, but quite sure that I'd be terrible at saving damsels. Especially if it includes any dragons."

Jane looked at Elizabeth with a horrified expression, while Elizabeth fought hard to keep from laughing. Elizabeth set her book aside and curtsied to Henry, while Jane did the same, her face towards the ground to hide the red that bloomed on her cheeks.

Henry looked down upon the two from the landing that overlooked the sitting room, a grin on his face. He bounded down the stairs to join the two women, while Jane mumbled an excuse to leave the room. She fled quickly to the kitchens to hide, while Henry and Elizabeth looked at each other and immediately began laughing.

"You're absolutely terrible!" Elizabeth exclaimed through her laughter.

Henry nodded, his cheeks red from laughing.

"I think I embarrassed the poor woman."

The two sat down on opposite chairs across from each other, still unable to gain control over their laughter. Elizabeth was afraid that she was sounding a bit unattractive, since she had a tendency to sound like a braying donkey when she truly laughed. She tried to take a deep breath, then snorted in return, which caused her to cover her mouth with her hands, her eyes wide with shock. Henry started laughing harder, which caused Elizabeth to do the same.