Chapter 17: The Price of Admitting

I squatted by my little crab apple tree. From two feet high you feel like a child, you really see everything around you in the strangest of ways. Beneath my feet the dry perished fruit staked claim in the dirt. The roots of the tree coiled around like snakes about to snap at your ankles and as my eyes traveled upward I counted four knots appearing in the wood. I haven't been here in ages, sitting just a stone's throw away from Willow Creek and basking in its resonance with this beautiful little tree. I threw my head to the side, gazing up into the sky at a different angle.

Slowly I found my hand reaching up, letting my fingers be enveloped by the overtaking rays of the sun. A cloud passed by and I grabbed for it, both hands above my head... so small against the wide open sky. So... insignificant?

Buzz... Buzz...

I reached for my phone. Margaret's picture came up after the first vibration and I pressed the "talk" button immediately.

"Hey Margaret, what's up?" I heard laughter blare through the background and voices cheering loudly.

"You wouldn't believe it, guess who is performing at Main Street Arena?!" I blinked in reaction, twirling a lock of hair trying to think of her favourite band. I was drawing a blank.

"No clue, give me a hint?" She snorted a laugh.

"It's the W.R.E.C.K.S!" Oh... that locally famous rock band. I think I saw a poster of them a week ago but the thought never occurred to me they would be performing here so soon?

"Oh cool!" It's not that I didn't like them... but I never was really the one to find a taste in music.

"Get d_ eer!" I pushed my ear closer, trying to make out the pixelized reply.

"I didn't catch that, could you say that again Margaret?"

"I said,"She paused as the crowd roared. "I said get down here!"

"Who is all with you?" I replied. I didn't just want to be downtown alone; maybe I should ask the folks for the car?

"Brie and Beth are on their way, I just text-ed them."Well, that is a little better.

"Alright, just let me go tell my parents, I will be there in two shakes." Who knows... this could be fun right? I have never been to a concert before.

Suddenly I noticed the stones at my feet began to tumble and shake, the ground beneath me was rumbling and the air was filled with this loud roaring rev. I shot to my feet in fear. Crap, am I going to be run over? I jumped into the arms of the crab apple tree as something black and glossy zoomed past. My eyes shot to the vehicle, it came to a sudden halt and almost tipped over as the person jumped off. They lifted their helmet to reveal a pair of wide black eyes.

"Abigail?!" his voice cracked in surprise. I grumbled a huff.

"Are you crazy Marc, you almost ran me over!" I may have sounded mad but actually I was completely taken aback.

..."Yeah, real bad boy, I hear he has a motorcycle too. From the bad streets in the slums, he is a real delinquent."...

I smacked my forehead. He really does have one; you have to be kidding me?

"Well, are you alright?" I jumped down from the limbs, trying my best to hide my ogling of his motorcycle.

"Alright?"I brushed myself off. "You scared the crap out of me; you need to watch where you're going. What are you doing driving on a trail anyway?"My eyes shot to the side slightly. Oh my god, it is jet black and sleek... amazing, what a piece of machinery! He shot me an awkward smirk.