Chapter 13: When Things Turn Bitter

My fingers ran across the face, highlighting the cheekbones and lining the full lipped smile. The back of my hand fell against the hair, such detail, such grace... this person felt almost real. I felt like I could just reach in and touch her and feel her warmth, but the pale white paper blocked her from me like a shield. My mind ran wild trying to process this person, trying to tell my shocked body that she wasn't real. It was really hard to just think... Marc drew this.

                 She was beautiful.

                 I leaned out my window, looking out at the rising sun and beautiful lake just down the hill. The sun was such a soft kiss against my skin that I blushed, while the wind chilled me and sent goosebumps cascading down my arms. I smiled to the open sky. I felt funny... my heart was racing but I just couldn't stop smiling, like I was happy it kept racing.

                 "Abigail, are you almost up?" I jumped back, my mother's voice enveloping my mind.

                 "Y-yeah, be right down!" I ran to my closet and grabbed the first thing I saw, and then I felt the fabric against my hand and paused. It was my one and only dress, it was a brown knit garment my mother bought me at the beginning of school. I completely forgot about it. Slipping it on I instantly fell into a trance. I was so thin; my waist was so small in this dress. I never realized I had curve? A sour taste came to my mouth. I was almost an adult, and my body truly showed that. Wow... time seemed like it flew.

                 I took care of the basic essentials then grabbed my knapsack and headed down the stairs.

                 "Hey Mom, what's for breakfast?" Mom came from the front room, her face flushed and eyes excited.

                 "No time for that child, you are very late!" I was? I looked down to my watch but my mother grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the front door before I could see it. "You look beautiful today dear."

                 "O-oh, well... thank you?" Mom grabbed my coat and draped it around me, kissed me then sent me on my way towards the entrance. What's with her?

                 "G-good morning Abigail!" I almost smacked into him. I backpedalled, looking up at his crimson face.

                 "U-uh, hello." It was... Marc? I wanted to ask what he was doing here, but reframed from it. I didn't want to come across rude.

                 "I wanted to walk with you to school. Do you mind?" walk to school, him... with me? My heart began to race.

                 "S-sure, why not?" I smiled, trying not to look like an idiot. Mom waved us off, her expression too cheerful to be normal.

                 "I'm sorry, I told her I could wait. I thought you were already up."

                 "Its fine, I slept in." I looked away to my wristwatch. Mom was right; I was late.

                 "So... how did you like my surprise?" I felt my body stiffen.

                 "It was amazing, the sketchbook was handcrafted right? Simply magnificent." He gave a sigh.

                 "Did... you like the picture?" Her face shot into my mind like a jolt of electricity.

                 "She is beautiful." I said under my breath before I could censor my words. He blushed. The sketch was of a young girl sitting on the board walk, she had long dark hair and a cheerful expression as she stared out onto the setting horizon.